Chapter Twenty-three

One of the toughest girls he knows huh? We re-entered the huge room where everyone sat, no one noticing we were gone.

I held out my hand "I'm shocked it didn't break" he glanced Down before pulling the fortune cookie slowly from my hand with a shake of his head.

"You seriously went looking for me just for a fortune cookie? Such an idiot" he was holding back a smile.

"Well no, the dinner was going to end soon so-"

"Gentleman please call your maids and butler's out and stay seated" A voice boomed as Xander made his way to the table with me behind him.

He paused before sitting down glancing to where Mr. Tyrese had been sitting before but now the chair was just vacant. "Everything alright?" One of the men from Xander's table looked up to him with his eyebrows raised.

He said nothing, just nodded his head and sat down. I stood behind him as all the other butlers and maid joined us. I joined my hands together in front of me and only now noted they were still shaking slightly.

On this inside I felt like I wanted to cry but I wasn't going to waste tears on him. I glanced back up, my eyes widening when my eyes met with Gerard's. Why was he here? I noted where he came from.. the servants room....

How had I not seen earlier? He dropped his gaze from me and continued walking, when had he turned into a butler. Suddenly realization hit me when I met Josuee's eyes across the room from me.

I expected him to wink at me, with his pervish ways but instead he just watched me. His mouth was in a straight line before moving over to Gerard who finally made it to his side. So Gerard was his butler now?

I looked down to Xander who was below me. "Ger's here" I hissed and he glanced over to where Josuee was seated, nodding his head. So he already knew and decided not to fill me in... ok then.

"Attention! Everyone" All the talking died down and they looked up to the man who stood at the top of the room with a microphone. "I thank everybody for coming, both servants and owners" His voice filled the large room.

A small clap broke from the crowd but I didn't bother. One of the guys at the table, I believe his name was Jamie, had his butler standing behind him. He almost looked like he was about to fall asleep as the man droned on.

He looked around and saw me watching him. I should have looked away quickly but instead I continued looking at him. He gave me a confused look when I suddenly snapped out of it and looked away.

Where was Nick? I looked around the room before Xander tugged my dress causing my eyes to return to him. "Are you ok?" He arched an eyebrow and my voice caught in my throat. I nodded my head quickly.

"Anyway, as I was saying. I really hoped you enjoyed the dinner. Now on to the fun!" He cheered and some pathetic cheers broke the crowd while others clapped, "Now if you wouldn't mind following Ms. Davis."

Davis... Tina Davis. My eyes flew to the door and of course Tina stood there, her eyes looking up at the person talking. People suddenly began making their way from their seats toward Tina with their butlers and maids behind them.

Xander finally stood up with a sigh, pushing his chair back lightly. "We'll see you there." Zeke nodded to his maid and she followed him along with the others from the table. She was actually real pretty but looked to be in her late twenties.

Maybe she was a cougar... liked younger guys.

A warm hand wrapped around mine and I looked down to see Xander before I was pulled toward the door. He seemed to be walking quicker than was needed. "What's the rush?" I asked, having to almost jog to keep up with his long strides.

"Xander" I called him when he didn't reply and I glanced around to see a grim look on his face. I glanced back to see Mr. Firona weakly coming down from the stairs and someone rushing over to him when they noticed his bloody nose.

My stomach turned and I felt sick as I saw him. "It's fine Xander slow down" I wasn't being fully honest, I wasn't fine, I didn't like being in the same room as him but I would seem weak.

"Whatever" Alright then mister sassy.

He pushed through the crowd until we were finally up at the front and pushed me beside Tina. "Keep an eye on her, I've got something to deal with" He looked down at Tina but I quickly grabbed his arm.

"No" I gave him a warning look... I felt if I let him go something bad would happen. Tina shot us both a confused look as we continued walking.

"What's wrong?" Her voice was concerned but I just responded with a shake of my head, "Nothing".

"Milania, let go" Xander tried to shake me off his arm with a frustrated grunt. He finally was able to peel my hands off him and pushed me toward Tina, "Watch her".

Before I could stop him Xander disappeared into the crowd again. I tried to go after him but Tina gripped my arm, "Stop" She muttered and I shot her a desperate look.

"You're going to do what he tells you to do? He was an ass to you" I tried to persuade her but she just raised her eyebrows, "Wasn't he a bigger ass to you? And you do everything he tells you... you know since you're his maid" She winked which got a well earned scowl from me.

Touché.