Chapter Fifty

Xander's POV:

Had I heard her right....

We watched each other in silence, not one move was being made. "What did you just say?" I was dumb-founded. I probably looked like a deer caught in headlights.

She stayed silent, her eyes darting left to right, seeming to want to take back the words she said. I had heard right. She had admitted she liked.. no loved me. Finally.

After all this damn time, my stubborn 'lil maid loves me.

I noticed her eyes flick to the door handle, her brow furrowing I internally sighed, she was trying to plan an escape. I edged over slightly to block the door handle from her sight and the moment I did her eyes snapped to mine.

"Milania" I had to make sure, "Did you just say you're in love with me?" She opened her mouth to speak but instead dropped her eyes to the ground once more.  

A gentle smile appeared on my face before it quickly faded, "You want to quit... because you love me?" This time she actually responded, but only by nodding her head. No words were said.

"Why?"

"Why what?" These were the first words she had said since. Her voice was soft. Almost nervous, as if she was scared of what my reaction would be. What did she even think my reaction would be? Was it not obvious I had tried to get this girl to fall in love with me since forever?

"Why quit because you love me?"

"Why?!" Her voice seemed to raise slightly, "Because.I've.Fallen.For.Your.Dumbass! What other explanation do you need?" She argued with me but I shook my head with a sigh. In my opinion that wasn't a very good reason.

"Are you worried?"

She looked away from me quickly and I finally understood. "You're worried" I sighed "You're worried I'll give you away"

I should have expected this. All of those worthless men in the past left her and treated her like cráp. Of course she'd have trust issues, what was I expecting? For her to just jump in my arms and want to stay here forever.

I took her face in my hands gently and tilted her head up so she was looking at me now. "I love you Milan" I said it slowly, making sure she heard every word, "I've loved you way longer than you can imagine. Why on earth would I give you up?"

Every word was true. I wanted to say more but I didn't want to go over board, I didn't want to scare her.

She seemed to flinch and she bit her lips softly. I could tell she wanted to look away from me but she didn't. She kept her eyes trained on mine the whole time. I frowned when I got no response.

"Do you not believe me?"

"I do"  She whispered and my stomach flipped. I wanted to smile but she continued, "But you won't always. I get thrown away easily and someone like you does not stay with someone like me. I'm annoying and always rude to you, I don't know wh-"

"Do not put yourself down" I interrupted her. She was talking about herself as if she was worthless. The confidence she always showed, or put on, had all drained away and she was finally showing how she felt, "I'd never throw you away. You're amazing, beautiful... everything a guy wants. You're annoying as hell at times but I love that about you, how you speak your mind. And if we ever fight, we can just have make up séx after" I winked at her and I could see her lips turning up into a soft smile.

The smile was quickly replaced with a frown when she pushed herself away. My heart dropped. "I'm sorry, Xander. I know how this will end, and it won't be nice. I don't want to go through that again".