22.

-One week later-

"Yeah. I'm sending it through now. If you find her, just let me know if she's okay." I murmur as I see Victoria walking in.

"I will. Talk to you later." Boots replies before I hang up.

Victoria places a letter on my desk and raises an eyebrow. "This is from Alissa."

"Alissa?" I frown.

As much as it kills me, I hadn't spoken to Alissa  as often as I wanted too. It was very little actually.

I wanted to see her, but every time I see her, she's seems uncomfortable.

"Yeah. She just stopped by, said she couldn't make it tonight." Victoria shrugs as I grab the letter.

"Thanks." I frown confused as I open the envelope, only to find it was a cheque with two million pounds.

My money.

Frowning, I grab the note from the inside.

'I'm sorry.'

Shaking my head, I grab my phone and call her. She takes a while to answer too.

"Hi." Alissa murmurs quietly.

I clear my throat. "Hi."

There's a silence on both ends and I clear my throat again. "I'm sorry?" I frown in confusion.

"Yeah. For taking your money and everything." Alissa mumbles incoherently.

"You can't make it tonight?" I frown.

She hesitates and sighs. "I don't feel like going out. I just don't feel like myself right now."

"Are you okay?" I question quietly.

"Yeah. I just need some rest." She replies annoyed.

Well at least she's honest about it.

"Where are you?" I question as I look at my calendar.

Sounding sad, to immediate irritation? Of course.

"I'm almost home." She yawns quietly.

"I haven't seen you since Friday." I say.

"I know." Alissa whines. "Sorry. I'll talk to you later." She says, almost as if I can hear her smile.

"Okay."

"Okay." She repeats after a moment. "Bye."
Bye." I repeat with a frown.

Hanging up the phone, I press the intercom and clear my throat. "Victoria? Cancel my midday appointment."

"Yes, Sir."

"And make sure that intern, what's her name-"

"Kylie?" Victoria questions.

"Yeah. Make sure she prints out the right file for our afternoon meeting tomorrow night. We don't want another mess up." I say annoyed.

"Okay. Sir. I'll tell her now."

"Thank you. I'll be heading out in a few." I walk towards my filing cabinets to put away a few sheets that I had read over.

My eyes keep lingering back to the cheque, and the note.

I frown and continue with what I was doing.

Grabbing my laptop, I slip it into my bag and grab my briefcase before walking out towards the elevator.