48.

"Don't talk to your old man like that." Boots murmurs before taking the phone and putting it on speaker.

I scold at him and he smiles as Yaser speaks.

"That's a strange way to talk to your father!" Yaser scowls and I roll my eyes.

I shake my head annoyed. "Last couple of years, you've left me to think that you're not my father, but my worse enemy and now you suddenly give a shit about me." I spit. "How does the slave circle feel that you've had five kids to your slave, Father." I say through gritted teeth.

There's no reply.

"You think you can shove me under the rug like that?!" I question annoyed. "I just knew you'd pull some shit like this. Does the slave circle even know that your lovely wife was your slave back then?!"

"I had bought her off Sahul to save her."

"She was and still is technically your slave." I scowl.

"That's your mother you're talking about." Yaser says sternly.

"You know I'm right." I murmur.

Yaser remains quiet before sighing quietly. "It was long ago. Slave owners are not to fall in love with their slaves, and you have unfortunately, Beta. Just like Adham, you'd have to hand over your community towards someone who is more capable to handle their emotions and keep them at bay. Trisha and I were both slaves when we first met."

"Alissa is standing by me." I say. "She want's to take over with me and I'm more than happy to."

"She is a very popular slave in the community Zayn and she still is a slave based on her files." Yaser says.

"She's not a slave!" I scowl

"She is. It's either her, or the slave circle. Seeing as you love her so much, you already have your answer." Yaser hangs up immediately and I squeeze my hands around my phone before placing it on the desk slowly.

Boots remains silent, probably trying to predict what my actions are next or what the fuck is going to come flying out of my mouth.

I shake my head annoyed and bury my face into my hands.

"So how are you going to end things with Alissa?" Boots questions an I frown at him.

"What?!" I scowl.

"I'm kidding." Boots shrugs nervously.

I shake my head annoyed and walk towards the door.

"Where are you going now?" Boots questions.

I shrug. " I don't know somewhere I can think to myself without you annoying me. Don't call." Closing the door, I make my way outside to the crisp cool air and get in the car.

Alissa.

Jane's smile falters as usual when she sees me.

"I don't know if you'll be okay with me coming in, but you haven't been returning any of my calls since the memorial." I say awkwardly.

She remains silent before clearing her throat. "Sorry. I just, I've been trying to keep myself busy."

I bite my lip before watching her 'happy' expression fail miserably before her lips begin to tremble.

"Oh Jane!" I say sadly before burying her in a hug.

"I get him back and then he's gone! Dead?!" She whimpers sadly as I squeeze my eyes closed.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry!" I whisper as the image of Rodney's death flashes through my head again.

The gunshot.