14

•Kaila's POV•

~At the snack shack~

"Can I get fudge brownie, please?"

The volunteer handed me a little styrofoam dish with the ice cream in it. "Thank you," I said.

The ice cream was delicious! Fudge brownie was my favorite.

Apparently Hunter had the same kind as me. When he saw that I, too, had fudge brownie, he said, "Great minds think alike," and winked at me.

Amber saw, and nudged me in the ribs once he'd walked away. "Ooo, girl!"

"Shh, he'll hear you!" I hissed.

"Oh, whatever. He obviously likes you."

"No he doesn't."

"Yes he does," she insisted.

"I know for a fact that he doesn't!"

"Oh yeah? How's that?" She raised her eyebrows at me.

"Um. Well. We haven't seen each other in forever. So he obviously wouldn't have kept liking me all this time."

It was the best excuse I could come up with. To be honest, I didn't have a real reason. But I knew that he couldn't have a crush on little old me. Who would? I wasn't exactly the prettiest girl in the world...

"Whatever. I ship it."

"Really? Then what's our ship name?"

"Kanter, duh."

Had she really thought this all through already? I mean, she didn't even hesitate before answering the question!

Wanting to change the subject, I said, "Well you're one to talk. I haven't seen you say more than two words to Alex since we got here."

"Well... That's because-"

I raised my eyebrows, mocking her.

"Oh, whatever! You know I can't talk to him."

"Why not? You guys used to be really close."

"Yeah, way back when. Now things are different."

"They don't have to be," I encouraged her. "Why don't you go talk to him? I'm sure he's been wanting you to all day!"

"Pssshhh, no he hasn't."

"Well, you never know."

"Fine. I'll talk to Alex."

"Yes!"

"One one condition," she added.

"What's that?"

"You have to talk to Hunter."

Gulp. "Deal."