34

A/N: This is gonna be from Haylie's sister's POV, because-spoiler alert-she's gonna be kind of important. Enjoy!

- - -

•Rosie's POV•

After session, I walked around campus by myself. I know you're not supposed to do that, but I've never been one to follow those "buddy" rules. If you don't have friends, why should you be forced to walk around with a stranger?

I'd seen my sister talking to one of the girls from her team, and felt a little jealous. I was new here, so I didn't have any friends. The girls in my dorm weren't anything like me. They were all either 1) boy-crazy, or 2) Jesus freaks. And I was neither of the two.

I knew of God, and believed that He existed, but I wasn't too crazy about following Him. Everyone in my family was a Christian, including me. But I had kind of strayed off the path over the years.

We used to live in Wisconsin, and I had a few close friends. But once my dad died and we had to move to Chicago to be by my mom's family, everyone sort of left me. At first, they called and checked up on me. Then the calls turned to texts, and the texts turned to letters written once a month, and eventually the letters just stopped.

I'd been homeschooled all my life, but now that my dad was no longer in the picture, my mom had to get a full-time job. That sent me and all my siblings to public school. What's wore is that my mom was two months pregnant when our dad died, so she barely had enough money to support it.

My older siblings pitched in and paid rent, just to help my mom. When the baby was born, she looked just like my dad. We called her Teddie, because that had been my dad's name, only spelled with a Y. She was two years old now.

With my mom working day and night, we somehow got enough money to send me and Haylie to Encounter camp. I was extremely grateful for the little break, even if I wasn't too crazy about God.

I couldn't believe He'd let my dad die in that car crash. It was so awful. I didn't understand why He would do that, knowing my mom had six kids to take care of. I didn't trust Him anymore after that. How could I? Not only had He taken away my father, but He'd taken away all my friends, too. Some nights I just cried myself to sleep and wondered, Who's next?

Anyways, as I was walking around, I caught a glimpse of a familiar face. It was a boy with brown hair and blue eyes. I knew him from my old church camp in Wisconsin.

"Hunter, is that you?" I asked, my voice trembling for some reason.

"Rosie?" he replied, walking towards me through the darkness.

As the figure got closer, I realized that it was, in fact, Hunter. But what was he doing here?