42

•Hunter's POV•

I walked out of the cafeteria to see Rosie crying on a bench outside the chapel. I couldn't just let her sit there and cry... So I walked over to her and sat down.

"Go away, Hunter," she said gruffly.

"Whoa. What's wrong?"

"Why don't you ask Kailey, or whatever her name is. You seem to like her a lot better." With that, she got up and left.

What was that all about? I thought to myself. She'd been fine at lunch.

"You okay, man?" Alex asked.

"I don't know yet." Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Amber approaching. "Here, go hang out with Amber. I need to talk to Kaila."

"Um, okay." He turned to Amber, who had arrived. "Wanna go to the pool or something?" he asked her.

"Sure, let's go," she replied.

They headed off and I hurried to the dorms. Kaila had to be in there somewhere! I knocked on the door, the same one from last night, but there was no answer. I knocked again, and then Kaila's voice shouted, "Who is it?"

"It's Hunter! Can we talk?" I shouted through the door.

Silence.

"Kaila?"

Finally, there was shuffling and then the door opened a crack. "What do you want?" Kaila demanded.

"To talk to you."

"Okay. Say what you need to say." She stood in the doorway, arms folded across her chest.

"Kaila, don't be like this."

"Like what?"

"I don't know. Like...this! What's wrong, Kay?"

"I don't know, you tell me. One second you like me, and the next you're going crazy about Rosie."

"So that's what this is all about? Rosie?" She couldn't really be jealous of Rosie... Could she?

"Yes, Rosie," she said, mocking my tone of voice. "You've been hanging out with her every chance you get practically all day!"

"Well I'm sorry she's new and needed a friend!" Oops. I didn't mean to yell at her. I was just so confused. How could she think that I would like Rosie?

"And that just has to be you?"

"Yes, because I'm the only one here that she knows! Besides Alex. What did you want her to do, Kaila? She's not good at making friends."

"I don't know! But what's her problem?!"

"Her 'problem'," I said, making air quotes, "is that her dad died two years ago and all her friends stopped talking to her when she moved here from Wisconsin. Is that what you wanted to hear?"

Her mouth dropped open a little, most likely in shock. "I-I didn't know."

"Clearly."

Wait. No. That's not how I wanted that to come across. I don't want to sound angry with her.

Her expression was both shocked and hurt. I wanted to do everything humanly possible to erase that look on her face!

"Kaila, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that. She's just...having a really hard time. And me being here was probably really good for her, because she hasn't had a friend in years."

"I-"

Before she could finish, I said, "That doesn't really give me an excuse to hurt you, though. I'm so sorry for speaking to you like this. You don't deserve it. Is there any way you can forgive me?"

She finally uncrossed her arms. Then she looked at me, her head cocked to the side in thought. Finally, she gave up the act. "Okay, I forgive you!"

"Good. Because this whole being-mad-at-each-other thing isn't working for me."

"Me neither." This time, it was Kaila that went in for the hug.

- - -
A/N: YEEEE I love them so much!😍 Sorry for making you temporarily hate me. Hope we're cool now. And I think we can all agree...KANTER IS LIFE😍😁❤