74

•Hunter's POV•

I rushed Kaila to the nurse's office, which was right by the snack shack. "Can someone help her?" I asked.

Amber, Alex, and Rosie had followed us, but they stayed out of the office while I found a nurse for Kaila.

The nurse, Lynda, sat Kaila up on a bench and took a look at her face. It was bleeding pretty badly, and seemed to be coming mostly from her nose.

"Alright, let's get you cleaned up so you can tell me what happened," said Lynda. She got some tissues and a wet wash cloth to help wipe up the blood.

Once it was cleared away, Kaila explained what happened. "I was on the Moonwalk-an inflatable in the lake-and then I fell off. I hit the water pretty hard, and I guess the impact caused me to have a nosebleed."

"I see. Those are perfectly normal here at camp, so don't worry-you're not the first to have this happen. I need you to hold your chin up, and pinch your nostrils like so." Lynda demonstrated for her. "Breathe out your mouth."

I watched as Kaila repeated the instructions perfectly. She was so brave.

After about a minute, the nurse allowed her to let go. She moved her hand away hesitantly, and was surprised when there was no blood on her fingers.

"Okay, the bleeding should be stopped by now," Lynda said. "Did you have any other injuries from the fall?"

"I don't think so," Kaila replied.

"Okay, good. You're free to go."

"Alright, thanks." She got up off the bench and followed me outside, where all our friends were waiting.

Amber hugged her immediately. "Are you okay?!"

"Yeah, it was just a nosebleed," Kaila answered with a laugh.

"Oh." Amber let out a breath. "That's good."

"What do you guys want to do?" Alex asked.

"Yeah, do you wanna go back to the lake?" Amber added.

"If you don't mind...I think I want to stay out of the water for awhile," Kaila replied.

"I'll stay with you," I offered.

"Then I'll go with you guys," Rosie said, linking arms with Amber. They smiled at each other. Nice to see everyone making friends around here.

"Come on, let's go back to the dorms," I said, placing my hand on the small of Kaila's back. The others had walked away, so we were alone now.

"You know, you didn't have to get so worried," she said. "I would've been fine."

"I... Well, I couldn't help it. You were hurt."

"Well I appreciate your concern. It was...actually kinda cute." She winked. I didn't think I'd ever get tired of that girl.

We had reached a willow tree, and decided to sit for awhile, until the others got back. No use going to our rooms and having nothing to do.

I leaned against the tree trunk and took a deep breath, inhaling the warm camp air. The sun was out, shining brightly, but the long branches of the willow tree blocked it out.

A cold chill ran down my spine, considering I was shirtless. I scooted closer to Kaila.

"Cold?" she asked.

"A little."

She smiled and rested her head on my shoulder. Now instead of chills, a warm heat rushed through my body. It was crazy what she could do to me, just with that simple touch.

I leaned my head against hers, savoring the moment. It would've been so easy to kiss her, with the willow tree blocking us from sight, and no one else around. But it was still camp... Still practically illegal.

If I kept thinking like this, I probably would've kissed her. So instead I asked, "Whatcha thinking about?" She hadn't really said much, and I figured it was a fair questions to ask.

"Hm?" She looked up, startled.

"I asked what you were thinking about."

Her face turned bright red and she said, "Um, nothing really."

"Is that so?"

She turned even redder, and I saw her eyes flicker down, at my lips. Good Lord, did she have to do that? "Uh, well..." she stuttered.

"Me too."