61

A/N: This chapter is gonna be a little different. It's going to be from someone's POV who is not even at camp. So who is it? You'll have to read to find out!

- - -

•Hannah's POV•

It had been a pretty quiet five days, with my daughter being at camp and all. It was now Thursday, and I just had one more day of work left.

I went home and opened a bottle of red wine, then poured some into a glass. Next, I changed into my favorite pajamas and found a murder mystery to watch on the Hallmark channel.

Just as it was about to reveal who the killer was, my phone started ringing and I had to pause the movie. The caller ID said Joe.

My heart leapt in my chest, but I swallowed my nerves and accepted the call. "Hello."

"Hi, Hannah, it's Joe."

The sound of my ex-husband's voice filled the speakers and I took a deep breath. "How are you?"

"I'm great, how are you?"

"I'm fine."

"Good. So I know we don't do this often, but I was wondering if we could get together and talk?"

"Sure, sounds lovely. When would you like to meet?"

"How's tonight?"

"Tonight?"

"Yes, is that a problem?" he asked.

I looked down at my red and black silk pajamas and the glass of wine in my hand. "Um, no. Tonight's great."

"Okay, good. Can I pick you up at, say, eight o'clock?"

"Yes. See you then."

"Bye."

I hung up before I got too nervous, and took a deep breath.

I'd met with Joe twice in the past year, but it had been since January now. I was worried about seeing him again. Last time we'd talked, it was just after New Year's, and we mostly talked about the holidays. My daughter Rain came with me, and we opened Christmas presents together.

But the first time we'd met had been last July, a few weeks after my wife passed. As you can imagine, I was devastated about losing her. It's not every day your spouse just up and dies.

Now it had been a year since Lauren's death, and I was doing much better. I hadn't started dating again, but I was past the point of grief. I wasn't sure what it would be like if I tried dating again. Would I like women, or go back to liking men?

I figured meeting with my ex-husband was a start in the right direction. And since it was already 6:00, I decided to get ready.

I took a long shower, picked out a simple black dress, and did my makeup. I hadn't worn a dress in years, and it felt weird. Weird, but nice. The only makeup I'd worn since meeting Lauren was foundation and mascara, but tonight I went all out.

I didn't know what came over me, why I suddenly wanted to impress my ex. We were just meeting to talk over dinner. Nothing special.

Except it was special, to me. Because we barely ever talked, and every time he called, my heart did that little flip.

It was like when we first started dating, in the 90s. I would get so nervous every time he called me, and I would go bonkers trying to get ready for our dates. Now it was like that again, only a little different.

Now we had a history. We'd dated for a year in college, and been married for fifteen. Rain was our first and only daughter. And when she was thirteen, I found myself being attracted to my co-worker. The feelings had been mutual, and I divorced Joe without a second thought. I thought it was the only way to escape my problems.

I wish I'd known all the pain it would cause as the years went by.

I blew a strand of hair away from my face as I sat in front of the mirror, thinking about my past. Should I really be wearing all this? I thought to myself as I stared at my reflection.

Before I could change my mind, though, the doorbell rang. "That must be Joe," I thought aloud, and went downstairs to answer it.

Sure enough, there was the man I'd once loved so dearly.

"Good evening, Hannah," he said.

"Hi."

He led me out to his car and opened the passenger side door for me. It reminded me of when we were in college; the thought brought a sort of sad smile to my face.

"So, how've you been, Hannah?" he asked me as we pulled out of the driveway.

"Oh, I've been good. Rain's out of the house this week, so it's just been me here at the house."

"Where's Rain?"

"Church camp. She went last year, and wanted to go again."

"Oh yeah, she told me about that, I think. In an email."

I didn't know this. "She emailed you?"

"Yeah. Last fall. You don't mind, do you?"

"No, of course not. You're her father. I'm just...shocked, is all."

"Why? Doesn't she talk about me?"

I hesitated before answering. "Not really. We don't talk about the, uh, divorce much."

"Oh." He looked disappointed and I felt bad for saying what I did.

"I'm sorry, Joe. I didn't mean to make it come off that way. She loves you, you know?"

He stared straight ahead.

"Joe?"

"Sorry. Yeah, I know. I just wish I could see her more often."

Before I could stop the words, I said, "Maybe you can."

"You'd let me?"

"Gosh, you make me seem like a monster," I laughed. "I think it would be perfectly fine. Like I said, you're her father. I think she misses having that father role in her life. She was...pretty upset with me when I... You know what? I don't want to talk about that. How are you, Joe?"

"I'm alright."

There was a pause before I asked, "Where are we going?"

"Do you mind if I surprise you?" he replied.

"No, I guess not." I'd always liked surprises.

"Well then I guess you'll have to wait and see."