27

•Kaila's POV•

"Hey, what were you and your roommates talking about last night?" I asked Hunter as we waited in the breakfast line. "We could practically hear you from downstairs!"

His face paled for some reason. "Um. You could?"

"Well, we couldn't hear exactly what you were saying, but it was pretty loud."

"Oh." He breathed a sigh of...relief?

"Is everything okay? You seem a little fidgety." I touched his arm gently.

He looked down at my hand, then up at my eyes. "Y-yeah." He cleared his throat. "Yeah, everything's perfectly fine. Why wouldn't it be?"

"Okay..." I said, still questioning it. But I decided to let it go. Maybe he just didn't want to talk about it. That was understandable.

"So, um, Kaila..."

"Yes?"

Hunter looked at me, his eyes practically staring into my soul. "Nevermind."

What?! He couldn't just leave me hanging! Now I was curious.

"No, what is it?" I pressed.

"Seriously, it's nothing. I-I'll tell you later."

"Hunter, seriously, are you okay?" Now I was kind of concerned for his wellbeing. Was he on anxiety pills or something? That would explain the fidgeting and the strange looks.

"I'm fine. Really. Can we please just eat breakfast?"

"Oh. Yeah, of course."

We sat down to eat with some of our other friends, but I couldn't bring myself to join in any conversations. I kept wondering about Hunter. Something was definitely up. And I made it my job to find out!

- - -
A/N: Hahahaha Hunter's reaction 😅😂 I love him so much. But anyways cliffhangerrrrrr! You're welcome.