Astrid's fight

Modern

Hunter

I sat there in that dimly lit room, holding her hand so tightly and not wanting to let go.

With every breath she took, she struggled. Every breath was a battle in itself.

The familliar smell of the hospital didn't comfort me much. The white lights and constant buzz were never warm to me.

Nurses and doctors strided past as they saved lives, but, they couldn't save this one? This life didn't deserve to be extinguised. What did Astrid ever do to deserve this?

I willed myself not to break down as I looked at her face. Perfect. Not a scratch.

It had been three days since she went unconcious and they was no signs of her waking up anytime soon. I sighed as I felt a hand squeeze my left shoulder tightly. "Hunter you need some sleep..." Heather whispered.

I didn't notice her come into the ward...

"I don't want to leave her."

She sighed as she sat next to me and took my hands into hers.

"What did the doctors say?" I asked.

She dismissed my question entirely with a wave. "She's...struggling, but you know Astrid, she's a fighter! I Know they say she won't make it Hunter, but you have to have faith in her...I don't want you to see it as an insult...but you have to give her a chance. Besides, she has something to live for and thats You and that little cupcake." She smiled.

After her speech, I actually considered everything she said. Heather dropped my hands and gave me one last sympathetic look before leaving.

Later

After about an hour, I decided to have a quick check on Lilith. I walked quickly to the baby section.

I finally spotted her, through the viewing glass. She was doing fine and I thanked god she was all right.

I proceeded back to Astrid's room, getting a quick bite before entering.

The day was up, and I really didn't feel like leaving her side.
I stood up slowly, gave her a kiss and walked silently to the door.

I missed her so much, I just wanted her back. I turned the knob of the door but stopped when I heard a whisper.

"Hunter?"