third delivery, second distraction, first truth

After the events of httyd3

Astrid's pov

Oh my gods...

"Astrid? Astrid!" I heard Hiccup calling.

"I'm up here, i'll be right down." I yell.

I come out of our washroom flustered and walked right into Zepyhr, looking up at me with a confused look.

"You've been in there for ages." She tilts her head and follows me on my heel as we bounce down the stairs and into the kitchen were Hiccup and Nuffink were.

"And that's none of your business young lady." I scold, shoving a bowl into her chest to silence her curiousity.

"Go help your dad pack. Good girl." I ruffled her hair as she frowned and backed away suspiciously.

"There you are! Are you all right?" Hiccup asks me.

"Yeah fine." I shrug.

Now it's his turn to frown.

Zephyr and Hiccup were the same.

"You're lying." He states.

"I'm not sure if you want to hear it now." I shrug again, smirking and turning around to snatch away a spoon Nuffink was trying to break.

"If it concerns your safety, tell me." He demands, giving me a no-nonsense kind of look.

"But if we find the dragons...I want to ride them!" I exclaim. "If I tell you then you won't let me." I slump into a chair beside Nuffink.

Hiccup drops everything in his arms and kneels down infront of me, a look of concern in his green eyes.

"Now you have to tell me."

I sigh as a smile slowly starts to form on my face at the thought of it.

"Is something wrong?" Zephyr asks, walking into the kitchen, puzzled at our position.

"No sweetheart...i'm just pregnant again."

"WHAT?!"

My eyes widened when I realised it was Zephyr who had exclaimed.

"Oh my gods Astrid!" Hiccup shouts, lifting me up from the chair and hugging me tightly.

"I can't believe this is happening." Hiccup brims with happiness as a beaming smile overtakes his tiredness.

I embrace him tightly, my entire being filled with happiness.

"What's wrong mummy?" Nuffink asks softly, a little bit afraid of our enthusiatic and loud display.

"Nothing is wrong. You're going to be a big brother, Nuffink. That's good news." Hiccup explains gently.

I pull away from Hiccup slightly to gage Zephyr's reaction, but she was gone.

"Where's Zephyr?" I murmur.

My eyes land on our front door which was wide open.

"She ran off..." Hiccup frowns, heading for the door.

"It's okay, i'll get her. Stay with Nuffink." I assure him.

"Be careful, the both of you." He warns as I head outside.

I walk into the woods behind our hut, knowing where Zephyr's favourite spot was; against her favourite tree.

I found my little auburn-haired lady sitting under some shade with a sad look in her eyes.

"Zephyr?" I call, approaching slowly.

"Go away." She mutters, rolling her eyes at me.

I wonder what I did wrong for her to behave in such a way.

"What's wrong? Did I do something?" I ask, worried.

"Yes." She snaps, her blue eyes piercing into my own.

I sigh and caress the bark of her tree, admiring the carvings we added to it over the years.

Carvings of Stormfly, Toothless, Cloudjumper and our family were forever  embedded into the rough bark.

I spotted her eyes trailing my hand as she raised her head a little, but she quickly looked away when I peeked at her.

"Talk to me." I sit beside her on the soft grass, giving her some space as well.
"I'll listen, and I won't say a word."

She was silent for awhile, letting the sounds of the forest fill up our lack of conversation.

She broke it after awhile.

"When Nuffink was born, daddy and you forgot about me."

I nodded once, indicating for her to continue.

"When the baby is here; you won't even notice when i'm gone." She cries.

I raise a hand to my chest in shock.

"Baby what- We love you. We could never forget you...come here." I gathered my little girl into my lap and squeezed her tightly.

"I love you more than all the dragons living in The Hidden World. I would trade anything for your wellbeing; even my life." I said, making sure strength eminated from my words.

"Do you believe me now?" I ask, pulling away slightly to look at her face.

"Only because I love you too." She nuzzles her face into my neck, allowing a warm feeling to descend upon me.

I comb my fingers through her soft, red hair and hum the only tune I knew that would calm her as I rocked us back and forth tenderly.

A tune that was sung to me by Hiccup before I slept every night while I was pregnant with my daughter.

I'll swim and sail on savage seas........

With ne're fear of drowning.....

And gladly ride the waves of life.....

To save your soul from drowning.....

For you my daughter, your life is priceless....

And I would trade an eternity with you for the safety of Valhalla....

Because the only safe I know is with you....

I looked back down into my arms to find Zephyr in a sleepy state.

I smiled to myself as I stood up and carried her back to our hut.

"There you are. Nuff's out like a light on our bed. We didn't even finish packing." Hiccup whispered as I entered.

"How about we move the trip to tomorrow instead." I suggested, gesturing to a sleeping Zephyr in my arms.

"Good idea...our kids do seem too tired. Let me take her upstairs." Hiccup scoops our daughter from my arms gingerly.

"I love you." I smile.

"You know I do; more than the amount of tries it took for my flight suit to work." He jokes, before climbing up the stairs.

I chuckle and fold my arms across my chest as he stops at the top and smiles down at me.

"We should name our third child Snotlout."

"Why you little- FISHBONE!" I gasped.

"Daddy!!! Mummy said a bad word again!" Nuffink calls from our bedroom.

"Guess our little Monstrous Nightmare wasn't asleep after all." I grin, joining my family upstairs.

Hope you guys enjoyed this semi serious / semi humourous oneshot!!!💙❤