Soft and gentle

The new year after HTTYD2

Astrid's pov

I was not leaving this hut until I get my hair right. Here I sat, infront of my plain vanity, trying out numerous new kinds of braids for the new year.

I felt dissatisfied with them all and I was beginning to want to rip out my fingers as they were becoming so strained.

I growled and removed the 100th braid of the day and combed my fingers through my hair to make it straight again.

Astrid Hofferson has given up. I huffed and crossed my arms across my chest and sunk lower into my chair whilst closing my eyes to try and control my anger.

I couldn't leave my hair down; I couldn't do that to Hiccup while we were still bethrothed; although I really wanted to.

I opened my eyes and looked at my reflection in the mirror; but jumped when I noticed the reflection of Hiccup leaning against the door post behind me with a smile.

I turned around, gripping the chair and smiling up at him as he walked toward me. "What are you doing here Chief?"

"Just checking you out- erm I mean...
checking up on you." He stammered slightly.

I chuckled and shook my head as he leaned down to give me a peck on my forehead.

"You looked upset before?" He started, raising his eyebrows as he leaned against the wall beside my window.

I sighed as I shook my head. "Can't get my hair right. I don't know what to do with it anymore."

"Do you feel comfortable with it down?" He asked.

"I do; but I can't because that would be a go sign for...other...men." I said, looking at him.

Hiccup made an "O" face as he crossed his arms against his chest.

"That won't do. May I?" He gestured to my hair.

"By all means." I grinned and faced forward as he took my hair into his hands.

"You're hair is really soft," He bent down and sniffed it. "Thor, it smells good too."

I blushed and tried to slap his head but he managed to duck. "No-no violence M'lady!"

Hiccup let it down and placed his hands on each side of my arms and squeezed them tight. "I'm thinking."

"I can tell." I said as I recognised his 'thinking face' in the reflection. His face lighted up when he finally had an idea and got to work.

He let my hair fall naturally around my face and took two pieces from the front by the top and dragged his fingers down the strands; he pulled them back and twisted them simoultaneously; I guess he entwined them behind my head.

He leaned forward to grab a pin on the table and as he did so, I couldn't resist placing a quick kiss on his chin. He smiled as he pinned the strands firmly.

"There."

"I love it."

He had done a sort of half-up-half-down kind of style; it wasn't tied in any way but if Hiccup trusted me enough to wear my hair like this, especially if he was the one to come up with it, I didn't mind it one bit.

I stood up and wrapped my arms around him tightly. "Thank you."

"My broken ribs and I say your welcome." He gasped as I broke away.

"Also I like your new outfit." He smirked.

"You look...amazingbeautifulprettysexy."

I laughed at his outburst as he placed his hands on my waist. "Pretty sexy? Or sexy?"

"Pretty sexy." He blushed; placing a gentle kiss on my lips as one of his hands travelled from my waist, up my back and finally resting at my nape. He pulled away first and rested his forehead against mine.

"But mostly beautiful."