chapter 11

Laura P.O.V.
I wake up to the sound of a beeping machine. I open my eyes and realize I can't breathe. I start to hyperventilate and the machine beeps faster. The noise scares Helena awake, who I didn't realize was asleep beside my bed in a chair. A nurse comes in and takes the breathing tube out, and I cough. Helena looks at me and I can see the fear in her eyes. I feel even more horrible for causing her more pain, the one thing I was trying to stop. She looks at me with tears in her eyes. She doesn't ask, but I can see in her eyes she wants to know why. I point to the notepad next to my bed. She hands it to me and I write "I'm sorry for causing you all this pain. I was trying to stop it when you found me. Your life would have been better without me." I hand her the notepad and I can see tears streaming down her face as she reads what I wrote. I can feel myself silently crying. I'm ashamed and I look away from her, not before I feel her wrap her arms gently around me and her tears mixing with mine as we cry. After a little while we released both of us with tear stained faces. "I can't believe you would think like that." Helena says. I'm ashamed, so I look away from the pained look on her face. "I want you Laura no matter what anyone else thinks or says." I turn to her and write on the pad of paper "You mean it?" "Of course I do." She envelopes me in a hug and I let myself cry onto her shoulder.

Helena P.O.V
After finding Laura in the state I did, I'm so glad she survived. I'm also glad I managed to talk to a lawyer about adopting Laura. It should be finalized by Christmas. Anyway, I awakened to the sound of a beeping machine and I'm scared awake. I notice Laura hyperventilating and a nurse comes in to take the breathing tube out. After looking at her for a few minutes, watching her coughing which I think she noticed the fear in my eyes she points to the notepad next to the bed. I hand it to her and watch her hand feebly write on the pad. She hands it to me and what I see makes my eyes fill with tears. "I'm sorry for causing you all this pain. I was trying to stop it when you found me. Your life would have been better off without me." I have tears streaming down my face. I notice her looking away from me as I wrap my arms around her. After we release I look at her and say "I can't believe you would think like that." She looks away ashamed, and I said, "Laura I want you no matter what anyone else thinks or says." I watch her write on the pad again, and when I look she wrote "You mean it?" "Of course I do." I reply. I envelop her in a hug and let her cry on my shoulder as I rub soothing circles on her back.