Part 58

Tom P.O.V. 

Today I am going back to see Laura in the hospital. The doctor said she would be there for at least a month or so. As I enter her room I notice she no longer has bandages on her face. When she hears me enter the room she hides under the sheet like a little kid afraid of the dark. I sit next to the bed and try to pull the sheet back but she won't let go. "Laura it's me please take the sheet off." "No I'm a monster." she mumbles from under her sheet fort and I can hear her crying. "Laura I love you no matter what you look like." I say trying to comfort her but I know it isn't working. She slowly lowers the sheet but all I can see are her forehead and her eyes. "Laura please." I plead with her. She finally lowers the sheet completely and the sight is ghastly but I would never tell her that. "What did the doctor say?" I ask. "The doctor said I have to go in for another surgery today to replace more of the burnt skin. They said it could take months." She then starts to break down in tears again. I want to wrap her in my arms and sooth her but I am afraid of hurting her. "When do you go in for the surgery?" I ask her. "In an hour, the doctor is hoping to replace the rest of the skin on my face and maybe some on my legs. It's going to take quite a while." she answers. "I promise I'll be here when you wake up." I say gently kissing the top of her head. About a half hour later the doctor comes in and explains to Laura what is going to happen during the surgery. After that I kiss her on the head and she is wheeled to the OR. The whole time I am worried about what is going on. Helena arrives and meets me a little while later. We wait for word on Laura. After what feels like an eternity a nurse exits the OR and says "Laura made it out of the surgery okay. She is getting better but it is going to take quite a while. She is lucky to be alive." the nurse says walking away. I can tell Helena is relieved that Laura is doing well and honestly so am I. 

Helena P.O.V. 

Today Laura is going in for another surgery to try to replace more of the burnt skin. I am praying that she pulls through. I arrive at the hospital after Laura has been wheeled into the OR and I see Tom in the waiting room. We wait for word on Laura and after what feels like an eternity a nurse exits the OR and says "Laura made it out of surgery okay. She is getting better but it is going to take quite a while. She is lucky to be alive." the nurse then walks away. "Thank God she is okay." I think to myself. I can tell Tom is relieved as well. I don't know what we would do if anything happened to Laura.