Part 57

Laura P.O.V. 

I try to open my eyes but am having trouble due to bright lights. "Am I dead, am I dreaming?" I think to myself. I try to look around but can't move due to the amount of bandages wrapped around my entire body. I close my eyes and succumb back to sleep. I find myself being poked and prodded later on that day and am able to manage to open my eyes. "Miss can you hear me?" the doctor asks. I try to nod my head but can't due to the amount of bandages. "You were burned about half of your body. We have to change your bandages and give you more medicine." I watch as the doctor removes the bandages from my lower body and I get my first real look at the burns all over my body. My body is blistered all over and it is enough to make me want to throw up. I look so bad I feel like a frankenstein. I find myself in an extreme amount of pain as the doctor changes my bandages. I wish I could talk so that I could ask to call Tom or mum and tell them where I am. The doctor then looks at me and says "Can you tell me your name and if we should call anyone." I use my eyes and gesture to my phone. The doctor picks it up and turns it on and says "It is password locked." I nod my head and he figures out I am trying to give him the password. He then goes to my contacts and says "Can I call Tom?" I try to nod my head but I can't so I blink twice meaning yes. The doctor gets the hint and calls Tom and I can hear the dial tone. "Hello, this is Doctor Smith your friend is in the hospital in critical condition, she was burned over half of her body." the doctor says. I can hear nothing on the other end of the line meaning Tom is in stunned silence. "I'll be right there." I hear him say before hanging up. "Your friend is on his way." the doctor says before leaving the room. I find myself falling into an uncomfortable sleep until I hear the door to the room open. I open my eyes and see Tom and Helena standing next to me, both of them looking heartbroken and shocked at how bad I look. "Hi love how are you feeling?" Tom asks. Since I can't talk due to the bandages half covering my face I roll my eyes in reply to his question. "Sorry love stupid question." Tom says scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. "Who did this?" Helena asks. "Her ex Jason." Tom answers for me. I blink twice meaning yes and they both get the hint. "I talked to the doctor he said they are going to have to do surgery to replace all of the burned skin." Helena tells me. I find myself feeling defeated since I hate hospitals and constantly seem to find myself in one. Tom sits down in a chair next to the bed and holds my bandaged hand in his. "You know I'll do whatever I can to help make you feel better so you can come home." he says. I feel so lucky to have Tom in my life, so grateful in fact I find a few tears are sliding down my face. 

Tom P.O.V. 

I'm at home with Helena and the kids when my phone rings.  "Hello." I answer. "Hello, this is Doctor Smith your friend is in the hospital in critical condition, she was burned over half of her body." the doctor says. I am in stunned silence. "I'll be right there." I say before hanging up. "Helena Laura is in the hospital we need to drop the kids off at your mum's. I say. We get the kids ready and drive over to Helena's mum's house and we then head to the hospital. We find out she is in the burn unit of the hospital. We arrive at the door and we meet up with a nurse outside her room. "Your friend is in bad shape. We have to do surgery to replace the skin over the burned portions of her body" the nurse warns us. I open the door to the room and we walk in. We see Laura laying in the bed bandages covering half of her body. The sight is enough to make me sick and I can tell Helena is feeling the same way.  Laura  opens her eyes and looks at  us. "Hi love how are you feeling?" I ask. She can't talk due to the bandages half covering her face so she rolls her eyes in reply to my question. "Sorry love stupid question." I say scratching the back of my neck awkwardly. "Who did this?" Helena asks. "Her ex Jason." I answer for her. She blinks twice meaning yes and Helena and I both get the hint. "I talked to the doctor he said they are going to have to do surgery to replace all of the burned skin." Helena tells me. I  sit down in a chair next to the bed and hold her bandaged hand in mine. "You know I'll do whatever I can to help make you feel better so you can come home." I say. I notice a few tears are sliding down her face. I feel awful that I can't take her pain away. 

Helena P.O.V. 

  I'm at home with Tom and the kids when I hear Tom call. "Helena, Laura is in the hospital we need to drop the kids off at your mum's. he says. We get the kids ready and drive over to my mum's house and we then head to the hospital. We find out she is in the burn unit of the hospital. We arrive at the door and we meet up with a nurse outside her room. "Your friend is in bad shape. We have to do surgery to replace the skin over the burned portions of her body" the nurse warns us. Tom opens the door to the room and we walk in. We see Laura laying in the bed bandages covering half of her body. The sight is enough to make me sick and I can tell Tom is feeling the same way. Laura opens her eyes and looks at us. "Hi love how are you feeling?" Tom asks. She can't talk due to the bandages half covering her face so she rolls her eyes in reply to his question. "Sorry love stupid question." he says scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. "Who did this?" I ask. "Her ex Jason." Tom answers for her. She blinks twice meaning yes and Tom and I both get the hint. "I talked to the doctor he said they are going to have to do surgery to replace all of the burned skin." I tell her. Tom sits down in a chair next to the bed and holds her bandaged hand in his. "You know I'll do whatever I can to help make you feel better so you can come home." he says. I notice a few tears are sliding down her face. I feel awful that I can't take her pain away.  "I'm going to kill the a##$%$&." I think to myself.