Chapter 15

Tom P.O.V. 

    Helena and I wait for word on Laura's condition. We've watched the clock, paced the halls and prayed for the last three hours and still nothing. We have both just about lost all hope and feared we've lost her forever. While waiting, I look over at Helena and see her crying. I instinctively wrap my arm around her shoulders. "Don't worry Helena, Laura will be okay." "I don't know Tom." Helena replies through her tears. "Helena, what can you tell me about Laura?" "All I know is she has no parents and I found her on the street." "Oh." I say shocked. "I wanted to ask you something." "Sure Tom." Helena answers, looking at me. "I know Laura is going to make it, but I was wondering since you are the closest thing to a parent that she has, I was wondering if I could have your permission to date her?" "Of course you can Tom." Helena says smiling. As soon as she finishes her sentence, the door to the OR opens and a doctor walks out. "Are you both here for Laura?" "Yes." we reply in unison. "I just wanted to let you both know that she is out of surgery and survived, we were able to remove the bullet without any complications." "So she'll be alright?" I ask hopeful. "She should make a full recovery in due time." "Thank you doctor." Helena says. The doctor then leaves. Helena and I embrace and for the first time cry tears of joy. 

Helena P.O.V. 

I got the call from Tom and I went into a panic. I raced to the hospital and got to the elevator, which seemed like it was going in slow motion. When I got off the elevator I saw Tom standing in front of the doors to the OR, with tears going down his face. I race over to him and embrace him and we both collapse to the floor in tears. We've been waiting for three hours pacing the halls, watching the clock and praying. We've just about lost hope. I was afraid of having to call my lawyer and tell her my potential daughter was dead. I'm sitting in a chair crying my eyes out, unable to keep it together any longer. I've been so close to losing Laura so many times, that I can't stand it. I feel Tom wrap his arm around my shoulders, trying to comfort me. "Don't worry Helena Laura will be okay." "I don't know Tom." I say. He then asks "Helena what can you tell me about Laura?" "All I  know about Laura is that she has no parents and I found her on the street." "Oh." I can hear the shock in Tom's voice. "I wanted to ask you something?" Tom says. "Sure Tom." I say. "I know Laura is going to make it, but I was wondering since you are the closest thing to a parent she has, I was wondering if I could have your permission to date her?" "Of course you can Tom." I say. Tom may not see it, but I can tell he adores Laura. I also know he would be good to her. As soon as this sentence is out of my mouth, the doors to the OR open and a doctor walks out. "Are you both here for Laura?" "Yes." We reply in unison. "I just wanted to let you both know that she is out of surgery and survived, we were able to remove the bullet without any complications." "So she'll be alright?" Tom asks, I can hear the hopefulness in his voice. "She should make a full recovery in due time." "Thank you doctor." I say. The doctor then leaves. For the first time tonight, Tom and I embrace and cry tears of joy.