chapter 24

Tom P.O.V.
Today is Laura's birthday. The cast is coming over tonight to celebrate and Helena is going to tell Laura that she is officially adopted. I'm also going to propose. I wake up and look at Laura, who is sleeping soundly next to me. I quietly sneak out of bed and pick Sylar up out of his pack n play. I take him downstairs and put him in his bassinet and wheel him into the kitchen. I'm going to make Laura's favorite breakfast. Chocolate chip pancakes and fruit. As I make breakfast Brieanna and Dylan walk into the kitchen. "Uncle Tom what are you doing?" Brieanna asks. "I'm making mum breakfast, do you guys want to help?" "Yes." They reply. When we are done, I carry the tray upstairs, while holding Sylar and peek into the bedroom. Laura is showered and in her clothes but went back to sleep. The kids go into the bedroom and jump on the bed. "Good morning mum." Laura wakes up and smiles at the kids. "Good morning my angels." She says. "Happy birthday love." I say walking into the bedroom with Sylar and the food. "Tom what's this for?" "For you for your birthday." I tell her, kissing her head. I put the tray of food in front of Laura and put Sylar in his pack n play. I sit on the bed next to Laura with the kids in my lap. "Aren't you going to eat?" I ask her. "I'm just not hungry right now." She says. I look at her, concern etched on my face. "Tom I'm fine, don't worry I'm just stressed that's all." She says smiling. She starts cutting up the food and offering it to the kids. "Open." She tells me. I do as told and she feeds me a bite of a pancake. The kids are waiting for her to give them more. She keeps feeding me and the kids the pancakes until they are gone. She picks at the fruit but doesn't eat much of it. Helena walks into the bedroom and looks at the sight in front of her. "You guys are such a cute family." She snaps a photo with her phone and I have her do the same with mine. When Laura is done, I take the tray back down to the kitchen. "Helena would you mind coming with me?" I ask. "I'll help." Laura says. "No love you stay and relax, today is all about you." I tell her Helena nods in agreement. We head downstairs to the kitchen and I start to do the dishes. "Tom what's wrong?" Helena asks, looking worried. "I'm worried about Laura, she barely ate this morning." "Tom relax I'm sure she's fine, she probably just stressed." "That's what she said." I replied, but I'm still worried. Helena hugs me and says, "Don't worry Tom, Laura will be fine, just focus on tonight and making her your wife." I smile at Helena and hug her.

Later that day Laura and I are in her bedroom. "What do you say we go out for a little bit." I say. I need to get her out of the house so the cast can arrive and finish getting things ready for her party. "Okay, should I get the kids?" "Its okay, they can stay with Helena." I honestly just wanted alone time with her to tell her how I feel about her. We get ready and see Helena in the kitchen. "Helena what are you making?" Laura asks. "I'm making a cake for our Christmas party tonight." she says. The truth is Helena is making a birthday cake for Laura and a cake to announce her being adopted, so to accomplish this we had to tell her we were having a Christmas party, which we are so we aren't technically lying to her. Laura and I are bundling up and we head to the park where we first met. As we walk we intertwine our hands. I look at Laura and take a deep breath. "Tom what's wrong?" she asks looking worried. "Nothing love." I then turn and look at her and say "Laura, the last few months I've known you have been the best of my life, you are smart, beautiful and an amazing mum to the kids and I'm hoping we can have many more wonderful times together with the kids." Laura at this point is in tears, its also started to snow. "Laura I love you." I say. "I love you too Tom." she says. We then lean in and share a kiss in the falling snow. We head back to the house and see Helena standing in the living room with the kids. We don't want Laura getting suspicious, so the others are hiding. "How was your walk?" Helena asks. "Fine." we reply. "Laura, sweetheart we have a surprise for you." Helena says. Laura looks at her confused before the cast enters the room. Laura looks completely shocked. I can notice tears in her eyes and she hides her face in my chest. Helena then hands her an envelope. She looks at Helena with a puzzled look on her face. "Open it." she says. She turns the envelope over and opens it. She takes out the certificate and reads it and then throws her arms around Helena. "Welcome home." she says. She looks at Helena tears streaming down her face. Once she has calmed down we decide to hang out and eat. After doing this, the kids give her their presents. She opens each one and hugs each child. I then stand up and say to Laura "I have one more special gift for you." She tilts her head to the side looking confused, not before saying "You've already given me the best gift in the world." Everyone is looking at us and goes "awww." I get on my knee and say "Laura, I fell in love with you the first day we met. You have since then shown me what true happiness is. You have made me into a better man and have taught me what it means to be a great father. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you and the kids. Laura will you do me the honor of making an unbreakable vow with me and marry me." At this point Laura is in full tears and all the girls are crying, Helena included. "Yes." she says. The kids have been sitting quietly the whole time and tackle me in a hug. They then look at me and say "We love you daddy."