Be Careful What You Wish For.

Michael's P.O.V.
"You have?!" Q exclaimed as I grinned at his reaction.

I nodded in response.

"Well why didn't you bring her?!" He was frantic.

"It would have been boring for her..." I shrugged.

He cocked his head to the side, "So you left her at home alone instead? I'm sure she'll be having a lot more fun there than she would be here." His voice was sarcastic but actually...he was right.
And it made me feel guilty.

"Ugh. I guess. I just thought she would rather stay home..."

"Did you ask her if she wanted to come along?" He asked.

I shook my head sheepishly.

"Mike! You better bring the girl in next time, okay?" He pointed at me and I nodded again. "Where abouts she from anyway?"

I breathed a laugh, "Umm...England."

"England?! You got yourself an English girl?!" He wolf whistled and I cringed.

"Q! Stop it!" I laughed.

He held his hands up in defence. "I'm just saying."

We got on with our jobs and I laid down some backing vocals to a new demo I was working on. I sat with Quincy for a little while trying out some mixes and new techniques we were always trying to put into my music.

"I'm tellin' ya Mike. This is sounding great!" He beamed as we blasted the new demo through the huge speakers.

I grinned, putting on my jacket, it sounded okay, I still needed to work on it. "Yeah. I want this album to do better than Thriller."

Q laughed and I was a little taken aback.

"What, you don't think I can do it?" I was outraged.

He span to face me. "Mike. You're capable of doing it. But Thriller has gone so high I don't think anyone can beat it. Not even you."

"Yeah well you just watch. I'll see you later." I muttered walking out the door and into the parking lot where Ray was already parked up waiting for me. I stared out the window once I got in, feeling a little angry.

As we rolled up outside the Neverland house I thanked Ray and wished him a goodnight before getting out. I waved at him as he drove off.

It was peaceful out, the night had fallen and the beautiful stars were twinkling in the indigo sky. There was still a slight warmth in the air. I wondered if Grace still fancied going for that swim.

I needed to let off some steam as Q had made me feel quite angry.

I walked in the door, it was peaceful in here too. Normally I didn't look forward to coming home to be on my own, I had Cheryl and I loved her but not like I now loved Grace, I had been wanting to come to her.

"How was work, boy?"

I jumped at the voice but it was just Cheryl calling from the kitchen.

"It was okay. Glad to be back!" I called in response.

"Good, good..." she muttered.

She'd been asking me the same question for years, I wouldn't blame her if she's bored of hearing my answers by now.

I plodded upstairs, not knowing where Grace was but determined to find her...eventually I did, on the upper floor of our bedroom, listening to music again.

When she saw me she removed her headphones and a huge grin spread across her face and mine, she jumped up and I took her in hug and kissed her head, "Hey baby." I smiled as we sat down together, my arm around her and her head on my chest.

"How was work?" She asked, with a little more enthusiasm than Cheryl.

"It was okay." I answered.

"Just okay?" She quizzed.

"Mmm...yeah." I shrugged.

"What's wrong?" She shuffled to look up at me.

"Nothing, just a little disheartened. Quincy doesn't think anyone can beat Thriller. Not even me."

She giggled a little, "There's a compliment in there somewhere, y'know."

"I know. I just really want this next album to be bigger and better than Thriller." I explained.

"Mike, don't listen to Quincy. If you believe you can do it. Then do it. I don't know how it works, but I believe in you." She laid her head back on my chest.

I squeezed her body and allowed a smile to form on my lips, "Thank you, that was cute. You still fancy that swim?" I asked.

She nodded eagerly.