first year ➤on a roll

HIS CHOSEN GIRLchapter seventeen-on a roll[Harry's P

HIS CHOSEN GIRL
chapter seventeen-on a roll
[Harry's P.O.V]
☟ ☟ ☟
"You mean that You-Know-Who is out there? Right now? In the forest?" Hermione asks her eyes darting out the window of the common room as if he were standing right outside.

I nod. "But he's weak. He's living off the unicorns," I shake my head incredulity. I can't believe we've finally figured it out. "Don't you see? We had it all wrong. Snape doesn't want the stone for himself. He wants it for Voldemort. With the elixir of life, Voldemort will be strong again. He'll... He'll come back."

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my life here for anything. If I had the option to go back to being oblivious about my powers, not a chance I'd take it. However, I don't think I really prepared for what I was getting myself into. This stuff is pretty heavy for a helpless group of eleven year olds.

Well, I guess we aren't so helpless, not really. I look around at my group of friends. The brightest witch in our generation, the loyalist friend I'll ever have, the strongest girl I've ever met. We'll do great things, each of us. We really are lucky to have each other, not one of us could've found out about the stone without the help from the others.

"Hey, Harry," Ron asks snapping me out of my thoughts. "If he comes back... you don't think he'll try to kill you, do you?"

I think about this question for a moment before replying honestly. "I think if he'd had the chance he would've tried to kill me tonight."

(y/n) sits in silence. She's been silent since we arrived back at the castle. Clearly and understandably she's shaken up about everything that's happened in the past hour. I wish I could make her feel better, (y/n) has already had more than her share of stuff to deal with. I worry that by being associated with me, she'll never get a normal life.

"And to think," Ron shakes his head. "I've been worrying about the potions final."

(y/n)'s head snaps up. "There's a potions final?"

As usual, she knows exactly what to say to lighten the mood and I find myself admiring her again. More so and more so lately, I've been admiring her. She and I make eye contact and she gives me the smallest of smiles and I immediately find comfort in the chaos.

"We're forgetting one thing," Hermione notes. "Who's the one wizard Voldemort always feared?"

Ron and I shrug cluelessly.

"Dumbledore," (y/n) answers to which Hermione nods.

"Precisely," Hermione replies approvingly. "As long as Dumbledore's around Harry, you're safe. As long as Dumbledore's around, you can't be touched."

Her reassurance calms me down a bit and I for once am thankful that Hermione is always right. Dumbledore will surely protect me. I hope he can protect me.