third year ➤boggarts and other terrible things

A/n
Hey guys once again I own no
characters, plot or dialogue except for the ones I make up:) thanks and enjoy my chapter of His Chosen Girl
********************
Harry's P.O.V

"Harry? There you are. You came. Now, are you sure about this, Harry? You know this is very advanced magic, well beyond the Ordinary Wizarding Level," Lupin says from the top of the stairwell in the DADA classroom.

"I'm sure," I reply.

"And what about, (y/n)? Is she coming?"

"She's uh, no. She won't be coming."

Lupin cocks his head slightly. "Why not?"

"I'm an idiot that's why not."

"James used to say the same thing... if (y/n)'s anything like Lily, I wouldn't fret about it... anyway, everything's prepared. Now, the spell I'm going to try to teach you is called the Patronus Charm. Did you ever hear of it?" Lupin asks, changing topics rather quickly.

I shake my head in response.

"No. Well, a Patronus is a kind of positive force, and for the wizard who can conjure one, it works something like a shield with a dementor feeding on it rather than him. But in order for it to work, you need to think of a memory. Not just any memory, a very happy memory, a very powerful memory. Can you do this? Yes? Very well."

By now Lupin has walked to the bottom of the staircase and has sat on a trunk in front of me. He reaches his hands up so that they're about a foot away from my face and speaks very softly.

"Close your eyes," he instructs. "Concentrate. Explore your past. Do you have a memory-"

I nod. The memory of meeting (y/n). Cheesy as it may be I remember knowing, right then, age eleven, right off the hop, that I was going to marry that girl. And I intend to do so.

"-Allow it to fill you up. Lose yourself within it. Then, speak the incantation, Expecto Patronum."

"Expecto Patronum," I repeat, eyes still closed.

"Very good. Shall we? Wand at the ready."

I hold my wand out and await the dementor. Lupin fiddles with the trunk's latch and before I get the chance to hesitate, pulls the trunk open. First I see the smoke come out, then the shrieking before finally laying my eyes on the creature itself. I watch it hover higher and higher about myself. Expectro Patronum, Expectro Patronum, Expectro Patronum, wait, why am I thinking it?

"Expecto Patronum!" Nothing happens. The candles near by flicker out but the beast remains hovering, slowly coming closer and closer. "Expecto... Expecto..."
**

"Here we go. Come on. Sit up."

Slowly but effectively I begin to become aware of my surroundings. I wonder for a minute why I passed out but then I remember. The dementor, my lesson with Lupin. I must've screwed up again.

"It's all right. I didn't expect you to do it the first time. That would've been remarkable. Here. Eat this. You'll feel better," Lupin says in attempt to comfort me as he pulls a piece of chocolate out of his pocket.

"That's one nasty dementor," I say taking a bite of the chocolate.

"Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no. That was a boggart, Harry. A boggart. The real thing would be worse. Much, much worse. As a matter of interest, what were you thinking? Which memory did you choose?" He asks.