second year ➤moaning myrtle

HIS CHOSEN GIRLchapter forty-moaning myrtle[Harry's P

HIS CHOSEN GIRL
chapter forty-moaning myrtle
[Harry's P.O.V]
☟ ☟ ☟

"(y/n), hi," I say, trying my best to hide that we were talking about her seconds before she sat down.

"Where were you last night?" Blurts out Hermione, seemingly doing the opposite.

Ron and I shoot her a look to which she mouths 'sorry.' I then turn to (y/n) who hesitates before answering.

"I went to the hospital wing to find Harry but Filch caught me before I got there. He made me stay up all night scrubbing the entirety of the third floor," she rolls her eyes. "I'm bloody exhausted."

Ron, Hermione, and I exchange a glance. It's a great excuse, but if you're caught out of bed, mind you by Filch of all people, you're sure to be expelled. (y/n) must be tired, that much I believe, because she'd never use an excuse as weak as that on a fully functioning brain.

The thing is though, why would she lie?

"Reminds me though, Harry, I really am sorry, for yelling at you," she says, sincerely this time.

I smile at her. "No worries, (y/n)."

"Interesting though, how your only punishment was to clean the third floor corridor," Hermione notes. "What authority does Filch have to even give you a punishment, he surely should've brought you straight to McGonagall."

"Okay, fine," (y/n) interjects. "The Filch thing was a lie."

There's an unspoken tension surrounding the four of us as we sit in silence. I guess I was expecting (y/n) go follow that up by where she actually was whether than just drop the subject completely.

"So... if that was a lie," Ron starts cautiously. "Then where we're you?"

(y/n) looks around the four of us uneasily. "Um, look it's hard to explain I don't really wanna talk about-"

"Why are you being so secretive and defensive with us lately?" Hermione questions growing impatient. "What did we do that's made you not trust us?"

"It's not that I don't trust you I just-"

"Then where were you last night?" Hermione's questions comes across as more of a statement and the two girls stare at each other intensely, waiting for the other to break first.

"Maybe the real question is whether than respecting my privacy, you're practically looking for ways to tie me in to some weird theory you've created. Mind you, we thought Snape was the one behind the stealing of the philosopher's stone just last year. You're nothing without solid evidence, J thought that's something we all learned," she retorts clearly hurt as she stands up from the table.