Getting to Know You

Seth's POV

I nodded as I understood. She needed to speak to her kids and probably didn't want to explain a new man to them so soon. I just watched her as she seemed excited to talk to her kids and answered. Then as the webcam pulled up, her face fell. "What the hell do you want, Kevin?" She asked, almost annoyed.

"Can I not say hi?" A male voice rang out.

I quickly realized it was her ex-husband. "I thought the kids were calling me"

"They are finishing getting ready for bed. They will be here shortly." I noticed her roll her eyes.

"You should have called me when they were ready." She said, coldly.

"And not see your beautiful face."

I got jealous at that. "Get over yourself, Kevin." She seemed angry.

"Don't you miss us? He asked her.

"No!" She quickly answered without hesitation. "Now, let me speak to the boys."

"I told you, they'll be down in a minute." He said, almost angrily. Probably didn't like she shut him down so quickly.

"Kevin, look, there is no us. There hasn't been in years. The only thing we share is our children. That's it." She was over it, I could tell.

"God, you can be a bitch sometimes." He said, angrily.

I get angry at this point. I wanted to rip the phone from her hands and tell him off. But I restrained myself. "Yeah, well, you're just going to have to deal with it." She told him. "And don't you have a girlfriend?"

"And?" He seemed to not care by his tone of voice.

She laughed. "God, some things never change."

Then I could hear it get louder on the other end of the phone. I could tell her children had entered the room. Her eyes suddenly lit up as a smile spread across her face. Seeing her boys made her happy. I couldn't help it but to smile at her reaction. "Hey, mommy." A small voice came out of the phone.

"Hey baby. How are you guys doing?"

"Good." It was a different little voice this time.

"Are you guys being good for daddy?"

Then three voices rang out. "Yeah."

"Good. God, I miss my boys."

"We miss you, too, mommy." The first voice said.

Then another voice said, "Mommy, KJ was being mean earlier."

"He was, was he?"

"Yeah."

I just watched as she talked with her children and I smiled. I loved seeing her in mommy mode. It was a side I hadn't seen yet. She finished up the call and blew them kisses as she said goodnight. She hung up and looked at me. "I'm so sorry about that."

I smiled as I understood. "Your boys can't go without saying goodnight to their mother, I understand."

"And," She started to say as she looked down. "I'm sorry about Kevin. He can be an asshole. And he still holds out hope that I'll change my mind about us."

I was so into watching her interact with her children, I almost forgot about the asshole prior. "It's okay." I smiled softly at her. Then I had to ask, "Is he always like that with you?"

She exhaled. "Yeah, except when he first sees someone, then he acts like I don't exist, which I don't mind. I like it better that way. It's when he gets tired of them or is briefly single, he gets like this. The girl he is dating now, is a sweetheart and I like her but I feel bad for her as I know what she is getting into." Then she looked a bit worried. "I didn't know he would be on the other end. Most of the time, it just the boys. If I would have know, I wouldn't have picked up. I swear, Seth, we are beyond over."