Trip Down Memory Lane

Melissa's POV

We have already been at in the small town for a few days. We never decided how long we would stay. We just wanted time with my father while he was well enough. I knew I didn't want to stay when he got worse, especially with the kids there. They didn't need to see him get sick and I think apart of me couldn't handle seeing him that way. But for now, we wanted to make the best of the time we had. I didn't want to go back to LA anytime soon. I was happy being with my family. My mom kept her religion talk in check around Seth and my dad and Seth had bonded quickly. It warmed my heart to see my family finally accepting him. But I hated it came to this for that to happen. Seth also made sure to be there for me or the boys with all this. But as my dad kept his spirits high, we were actually happy. Happy with the time we had with him. There was no sadness except for the first day. My dad might have been a grump at times but he knew how to make everyone cheer up. Just seeing him smiling and laughing, made me happy. I knew he didn't want to spend the time he had left sad or angry. So, he always was smiling. Mom said he was in higher spirits since we arrived as he wanted us there. We were the only of the family who didn't live there. My youngest brother got out of the army and settled down back at home. He got married and had a little girl now. So, he lived close to our parents. The town was quite small so everyone knew everyone. Part of the reason I couldn't wait to leave that town. I hated small town living growing up. But now with all this happening, I actually missed the small town. Missed the feeling it had. LA didn't feel the way that place did. It was much colder. One afternoon, my mom asked me to go into town and get a few things. I asked Seth if he wanted to join. I thought he get a kick of the downtown area. It was something you would only see in the movies. Seth agreed. The kids wanted to stay but I wasn't too keen on keeping James there as my parents didn't understand him. But KJ reassured me he would look after him and help translate if need be. So, I left all the children there as Seth and I drove into town. We parked downtown and walked a bit before getting the items my mother asked for. I showed him the little mom and dad shops in town. He loved the family based businesses. My town refused to corrupted by big business. We walked as we held hands and I pointed to different places, sharing memories I had there. Seth listened very intently. I loved he would actually be very interested in everything. One of the reasons I fell in love with him. He actually listened and enjoyed listening to me. He took it all in. As we walked, he asked, "Do you miss it here?"

I looked up at him and just shrugged. "I do at times. Especially times like now. Being so far from my family is hard. Right now my dad is going through so much and I can't be there. Then I look at it as maybe it is a blessing in disguise. My kids don't have to watch their grandfather slowly pass away, I know they would have a hard time with it. So, I guess it is kinda of a toss up. But I do miss the small town living after living in LA for so long, I will admit that."

He looked at me and asked, "Do you want to come back?"

"I know that could never happen. I am not naive. I would love to but now I have you and we both have our careers in LA and not done with them yet. I know you love LA." I told him.

He stopped walking as did I. He looked at me and asked, "You would stay in LA cause of me?"

"Yeah." I said with a smile.

"Even if it is not what you want?" He asked.

"Yeah." I said again.

I saw him look away from me and look at the ground. I could tell he felt guilty. Then he looked back at me and asked, "If I said I would be okay with living here, would you want to come back?"

I thought about it for a moment, then smiled. "Yeah, I would."

"Then how about this." He said. "After we get done with our careers and we feel we did as much as we could do with it, we move here. Live out our days in the town that is your home."