The Next Steps

Melissa's POV

The next week was long as there was a lot of test done on James. They wanted to see how extensive his injuries were. I was getting a bit moody as I wanted James just to come home already. The doctors were also not telling us anything. That only scared me. One afternoon, we sat in the room as James was out getting another test done and well we couldn't go with him. I hated when he had to leave the room and we couldn't go along. As Seth and I waited, impatiently. Cindy with all three boys walked in. KJ had a cast on his arm as he was still healing from his injuries. We kept them away from the hospital as we didn't want them to worry. But I found out from Cindy they only worried more at home. I decided it was okay at this point as their brother seemed better. They all hugged Seth and I. Cindy asked, "Where is James?"

"The nurses took him to get some testing done." I told her.

"Oh." She only said. Then she looked at me and asked, "Do you know what today is?" I looked at her confused and she seemed a bit stunned. "Really? You don't know?" She asked. I shook my head. "Today, James is nine months old."

"Oh my god! I forgot. With everything going on, I didn't think about it." I felt guilty.

Seth quickly said, "I forgot too. Just too much going on lately."

"It's understandable. You two had your plates full lately." Cindy quickly reassured us.

Then I asked KJ, "How is your arm?"

He shrugged. "Okay. Feeling better. But I can't play baseball."

"I know, baby. I'm sorry." I told him as I felt guilty about it.

"It's okay, mama. Wasn't your fault." He told me. I think he could see the sadness. My boys always tried to protect me when it should be me protecting them. I felt like I failed at that recently after what happened. Then KJ asked, "Mama, can I tell Seth now?"

"What?" I asked him, confused on what he was talking about.

"What we talked about in the truck, before the accident." He told me.

I thought about it for a moment, then remembered our discussion. I smiled at him as I nodded. "I am sure he would love the good news."

I looked over at Seth as he looked confused on what we were talking about. KJ walked over to Seth and said, "Mom and I were talking about the adoption before the accident. I thought it would be okay if you did adopt me. Mama said daddy would be happy if you did."

I saw a smile emerge on his face and he only hugged KJ. "I'm so happy you will let me do this."

KJ hugged him back with his arm that wasn't broken. They pulled away and KJ said with a smile, "I guess it would be okay having you as my other dad."

Seth slightly laughed. "Thanks, kid."

I looked at him as he looked at me, smiling. Just then, the nurse wheeled James back in. He was awake but didn't look happy. I asked, "Is he okay?"

"The machine scared him. But again, that is a good sign. Means he is aware." She said with a smile.

I smiled back and quickly got up. I picked him up and he moved closer to me. He seemed to be happy to be in my arm. Cindy walked up to him and said in a baby voice, "How is my little man doing?"

He gave her a small smile. He clung onto my chest as he looked at her. She then looked at me and said, "He really seems to be doing great."

"He does." Then my smile faded. "But I am worried. He use to coo and was at least saying dada. But I haven't heard him being vocal outside of crying since he woke up. His cries don't even sound the same. It concerns me a bit."