Big Changes

Melissa's POV

Months later, I dealt with the outcome of the trial. I was very upset about the outcome. Seth was wonderful through it as I went into a very bad depression. I eventually came out it. We got the guesthouse done and I finally told my mother why we fixed it up. She was actually happy about it. She loved the idea. I was surprised by it as I felt she would be not happy about it. But I think she felt the same way I did. She moved in and instantly, my mood changed as I felt we had our privacy back. But now we had KJ's graduation. We were at the school gym with my mom, Seth's dad, his wife, and Rachael and her family and I had mix feelings. I was proud that my son was graduating but I also felt sad that my oldest child was graduating high school. In a few short months, he would be across the country in college. I wasn't ready for that. Seem like everything went by so fast. He was excited and felt accomplished. I felt proud but sad. We sat there as the kids went across the stage and they finally got to KJ. They called out, "Kevin McMillian-MacFarlane Junior."

Instantly, we all cheered as KJ walked across the stage. He got his diploma and held it up as we cheered louder. We were definitely proud. After it was done, we met KJ outside as that is where everyone moved to afterwards. As soon as I saw him, I hugged him. "I'm so proud of you, son."

He pulled away and smiled. "I just so happy high school is over with."

Seth smiled. "But next is college and take it from me, that is something totally different." Then he hugged KJ and said, "Congratulations, son. We are definitely proud of you."

"Thank you, dad." He pulled away and said, sincerely, "For everything. After my father died, you quickly stepped up and now that I am older I understand that was something big for a man to do. To love and care for someone else's kids as their own and you did. You were the dad you didn't have to be."

I saw Seth was touched by his words and quickly hugged him again. "I would do it all over again for you guys. I love you all. You are my children."

"I know, dad. I just wanted to say thank you for doing that for us." Then he pulled away and smiled at Seth.

I saw Seth was a bit teary eyed, but quickly composed himself. Ron stepped up to KJ and hugged him. "Great job, kid."

They pulled away and KJ said, "Thanks, grandpa."

Then Rachael and my mom hugged him as they congratulated him as well. Then Seth said, "Come on, let's go celebrate."

We all went to a local restaurant to celebrate KJ's graduation. I sat next to Seth and we all enjoyed a dinner together. Rachael said, "In a few short months, you'll be in a big fancy college. What do you think of that?"

"I am actually excited." He said with a smile.

Then I said, "I just wish it wasn't so far away."

"Mom." KJ rolled his eyes as he didn't like me bringing it up.

"What? I am just worried about you." I told him.

Seth quickly said, "Love, you did a great job raising him. He will be okay."

"Again, we." I corrected him.

"She's right, dad. You both raised me into the man I am today." He said to Seth.

I smiled and said, "You think you are a man, but you will always be my little boy."

"Mom, really." He almost groaned.

We laughed. Seth then said, "Son, you should know how your mother is. If she had her way, she would have you all live with us forever."

We laughed again. "Yeah, that isn't going to happen. I love you, mom. But now I am ready to do so much more. I am excited about going to school and playing football. Maybe one day I can make a career of it."