Happy Days

Melissa's POV

We landed in Georgia by the afternoon. We got a rental vehicle and drove to the small town. Took a little time and we finally got to our destination. The older kids quickly got out of the car as I hesitated. Seth looked over to me as I looked at the house. "Are you ready, baby?"

"I don't think I'll ever be ready but I know I have to suck it up and go inside." I said, sadly.

Seth reached over and took my hand. "I'll be there for you every step of the way."

I gave him a soft smile. "I know you will be."

I turned to find only James was in the car. I signed to him as I said, "You ready to go inside?"

He nodded with a small smile. We got out and made our way to the porch. The other three boys was on the porch as my mother was there saying hello to them. I heard her say to the boys, "Look how big all of you got. I can't believe that my grandbabies are getting so big."

I got to the top of the stairs and joked, "If you feed them, you would see why. I can't keep food in my house."

My mother smiled at me and quickly hugged me. I hugged her back. "I'm so glad you are here."

"Me too." I said, softly.

She pulled back and moved over to Seth. She hugged him, which surprised him as she never did before. But he hugged her back. She pulled back and asked with a small smile, "How are you doing, Seth?"

"I'm doing good." He said to her with a smile.

I think it made him feel good that for once she was genuine with him. Then she moved over to James and asked, "How are you doing?"

He signed, "Good."

It was only one word he signed and she didn't understand. She looked at Seth and I to interpret. Seth quickly said, "He said he is good."

I was a little annoyed that my parents never bothered to learn to sign for their grandson. Rachael and her family as well as Ron and Xiang learned to sign. But my parents never did. But I tried not to let that bother me now as there was so much more going on. I looked at her. "Where is he?"

"In his den." She simple told him.

I said, "I'm going to see him."

"I'm sure he would love that." She said with a smile. Then she said to the boys, "I made cookies, who wants some?"

The boys got excited and Seth said, "I'll go with you all."

He knew I needed the time alone with my father. We walked inside and I headed straight for the den as the boys and Seth headed to the kitchen with my mother. I got to the door and slowly opened it. I looked in to see my father sitting there, watching tv. He looked the same. He didn't look sick but I knew otherwise. I slowly walked in and said, softly, "Daddy."

He looked over at me and smiled. "Princess."

It's been such a long time since he called me that. I, instantly, teared up and rushed over to him as he stood up. I hugged him once I got to him and he hugged me back. I cried in his arms. "Daddy, I'm so sorry."

"No, princess, I am. I shouldn't have been so stubborn and been more mindful of what you wanted." He said to me as he held me tightly.

I pulled away. "Daddy, I should have broken the silence a long time ago instead of waiting for something like this to happen to do it for me. I shouldn't have waited till you were sick. I wasted so much precious time."