Everything Changes With One Letter

Monica's POV

We finally walked out of the office. I could tell the letter got to Seth in a way. I couldn't believe what Kevin wrote him, I think Seth couldn't either. It was really touching. I was also surprised by what he said. He wrote me a letter too but I didn't want to read it yet. I wanted to do it alone. I felt like after Seth's letter, it would yank more at my heart strings. I was already so emotional with everything. I was close to Seth. As we went back in the mix of people, I could tell Seth was uncomfortable again. I saw why, Kevin's brother and his wife were looking at Seth and me as they whispered. I hooked my arm around Seth. "Don't pay no mind to them. They think everyone is beneath them. They didn't even like me when I was with Kevin." I tried to make him feel better.

Just then I saw my mom and dad. I should have known Kate would ask them to come. My father and I haven't spoken to each other since he left LA. But my mom and I talked all the time on the phone. They walked over to me and instantly my mom hugged me. She said, "Oh, Lissa. This is all so terrible. How are the boys doing with everything?"

"Slowly getting better." I told her.

"And you?" She asked.

I shrugged. "Okay, now. I was a mess when the news broke. I never wanted anything like this to happen."

"I know, sweetheart. But are you really okay?" She asked, concerned.

"I am a lot better now. Thanks to Josh and Seth." I looked up at Seth and smiled. He gave me a small smile back.

My mom looked at him and said with a smile, "You must be Seth."

"Yes." He said, "I am."

"Well, I am Lissa's mom, Margaret." She said.

He said to her sweetly, "Nice to meet you, Margaret."

"You too, Seth. It's about time we finally got to meet you." She said as she looked at me.

I just rolled my eyes. "Don't start, mom."

Then she said to Seth, "And this is Lissa's father, Ralph."

I saw Seth look at my father as he looked worried. I know he was worried about what my dad would think of him. "It's nice to meet you, sir." He said, almost intimated, as he stuck out his hand.

My dad looked at his hand then back at him. He took it but seemed reluctant to do so as he shook it. "It's about damn time we've met."

"Dad." I said, sternly. I wasn't in the mood for his crap.

He let go of Seth's hand and just eyed me. Then my mom asked, "How long will you be in town?"

"Just a few days." I told her.

"Will you be able to come for dinner one night? I do miss having you and those boys around. And I would love to get to know Seth more." She asked.

"Only if dad will behave." I said to her. I really didn't want to talk to my father as I knew he was judging Seth as we stood there.

"Lissa, please." She almost begged.

I simply said, "Only if he behaves. I don't want no intimation act towards Seth like he is doing now."

The whole time we stood there, my dad kept eyeing Seth as if he was sizing him up. I knew what he was doing. Then he said to me, "I am standing here, you know."

I just ignored him. "Only way we will go, mom."

"Your father will behave, isn't that right, Ralph?" She turned to him.

He sighed and muttered, "Yeah."

"Okay, then we will come. How about tomorrow night?" I asked.

"Great." She said, happily.