Celebration

Melissa's POV

The next day came and we celebrated James and Seth's birthday just as a family get together. We had a small barbecue and almost everyone is there. Except Cindy. I was still angry with her for what she did. Seth and James seemed so happy though. The adults gathered around the table as we talked and joked. The children were in the yard playing. Mike quickly joked, "So, another year older, huh? Can you keep it up anymore?"

My mom happened to walked by and smacked him in the back of the head as she said in shock, "Michael Jason! Does your mother know you talk like that?"

We laughed and he told her as he rubbed the back of his head. "I am a grown man, thank you."

"Want me to make a call to your mother and see what she has to say about what you just said?" She almost dared him.

"No, ma'am." Mike said in defeat. We all laughed and he looked at me and said, "I see where you get it from."

I knew he meant me always smacking him in the back of the head. We all laughed. I then smirked, "Now you know, I come from feisty genes. So, now don't cross me."

He rolled his eyes and then Rachael asked Seth, "So, no party?"

He shook his head. "I am okay with just having the people I love around."

She just smiled, "But you knew how to throw a party."

I quickly changed the subject. "So, did you all hear, KJ is at first string? Already played plenty of games and have been doing wonderfully."

His games were televised so I was able to watch my boy play. I couldn't wait to get there and watch it in person. Ron said, "I know, it is exciting. I want to go out there and actually catch one of his games."

KJ smiled. "Well, you are welcome to anytime, grandpa."

Then I said, "Seth and I are actually going next weekend to watch him play. He was lucky enough to have a break this weekend to come out here. But Seth and I are excited. You should join us."

"I actually might." Ron smiled.

Then Seth moved an arm around me and said, "And you can see Lissa's world."

"That would be interesting. Is it close to your hometown?" He asked.

"A couple hours away actually." I said with a smile. "Maybe we can stay a day longer and go take a visit Sunday to show you." Then I looked at Seth as I asked, "If you don't mind?"

"Of course not, love. It would be fun." He smiled.

Then I heard Jennifer cooing through the baby monitor. I started to get up as I said, "I'm going to get her."

Seth quickly stopped me and said, "I got her."

"Babe, you relax. It is your birthday." I told him.

"Nonsense. I don't mind." He smiled as he got up and walked inside.

Then Amy said, "That little girl got him wrapped around her finger, huh?"

I smiled. "That she does. I know he loves his boys and very close to them. But the bond he has with her is unlike anything else. I guess it is a father/daughter relationship."

"Just like how you are with all your boys?" Rachael pointed out.

"Yeah, I guess." I smiled.

Everyone went to talking amongst themselves. Then Amy moved closer and asked, "Have you talked to Cindy?"

"No and I don't want to." I was unhappy she was brought up.