First Dance

Jimin took a deep breath. C'mon, Jimin. Say the right things. Don't be harsh and don't be so demanding. He took a few more reassuring breaths before he knocked on his sister's door. An invitation to come in was heard behind the door and Jimin slowly turned the door knob, entering before shutting the door behind him.

"What do you want?" you asked, looking at him over your laptop.

"I want to talk to you," Jimin spoke up.

The serious tone in his voice told you that this wasn't just a normal talk. So you shut your laptop off and placed it at your side and looking up at him. You didn't even tell him to start, you just waited patiently for him to voice whatever his concerns were onto you.

"I want to talk to you about this dance coming up," Jimin started.

Your face fell. Now that you were in high school, you were invited to the dances that your school held. A Christmas dance was coming up and you weren't happy about it at all. In fact, you weren't even planning on going. You planned to be in bed that night, watching YouTube or hanging out with your brothers. "What about it?"

"I've seen the way you act when it's brought up," Jimin spoke. "And you pledged that you weren't going. You said you didn't want to go, (Y/N), but I personally think it's more than that." He pulled your vanity stool over in front of you and sat down, his head tilted up a smidge as he looked at his sister. "I want you to answer honestly, okay?"

"Okay, Jimin," you promised, worried about what this conversation was going to bring about.

"Is it because no one has asked you?"

"No!" you practically yelled. "No, it's not because of that."

Jimin nodded. "Okay. Because if it was, I would gladly find you someone because I know all the boys in your grade swoon over you. And if they didn't fess up, I would take you myself. I know how many of your friends love me." He winked before getting serious again. "So what is it? Why don't you want to go?"

Your mouth sealed shut. You didn't want to tell. You remained quiet and Jimin sighed.

"Sis, please, tell me what's going on," Jimin begged. "I didn't want to go to my first dance either. But my reason was because I didn't feel comfortable with my body. I thought people would make fun of me if I didn't wear the right thing or if I didn't part my hair a certain way. I didn't want to be ridiculed. I didn't want people to talk about me afterward and make fun of me. I wasn't confident. And if that's why you don't want to go, then I'll do everything in my power to make you confident again. I don't want you to go through what I went through. You're beautiful and I hope you can see that." He wiped away a tear. "I know how easy it is for you to call yourself ugly and I hate how you always throw that term around about yourself."

You only stared into his eyes, hoping that he would leave soon.

"It's because of that, isn't it?"

You felt tears well up in your eyes, waiting for someone to break the dam and let them free.

"Oh, honey," Jimin cooed, rising up and wrapping you in a warm embrace, destroying the dam in your eyes. You shut your eyes tightly, letting out a sob. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," you cried into his shoulder. "I just hate my class so much."

Jimin rubbed your shoulders, keeping you close in his arms. "I did, too. It's okay."

You pulled away. "No, it's not," you cried. "Everyone is always talking about it and saying how good their dresses make them look but all I can think about is how bad I look, even without a pretty sparkly dress."

"But you look great in everything," Jimin countered.

"No, I don't," you argued. "I look terrible in everything and I know they don't mean to but every time they talk about how they're going to look perfect, it's like rubbing salt in the wound." You grabbed your pillow and rested your head on it. "I look like a troll barfed and then tried to create a human out of it."

"Well, you're pretty barf," Jimin said, giving you a small smile.

"Thanks, Jimin," you murmured. "I really appreciate your efforts, but when you're my older brother, don't you have to tell me I'm pretty?" You stood up and walked over to your bedroom door. "It's not going to work. It's just a fact that I'm ugly, okay? I get it." You opened the door and walked out, leaving Jimin alone.

"I just don't want you to fall down that hole, too."

---

My cry for help back in December.