Robert Baratheon X Reader - Losing Sleep

A/N - This is an imagine based on 'Losing sleep' by John Newman. Also, this is the first post in this new book, please share this with anyone who may be interested and see if we can boost out reads and share some Game of Thrones love. I hope you all enjoy it.

You were staring at the ceiling as if it held every secret to the universe. As though, it was impossible to close your eyes for fear that you may miss something important. You weren't used to sleeping alone, you hadn't been since you had become Queen. But Robert had decided that he wouldn't be sharing your bed that night. The same way he hadn't the night before. You couldn't blame him. You'd attacked him with a barrage of insults earlier in the day with little care for his feelings.

You had always been very aware of your husband's love of alcohol and women. He was a notorious drunkard and flirt, but it had never bothered you before. He could tease and joke with other women all he wanted but he would always end up in bed with you instead of them. But something had seemed different recently. He was coming back to your chambers later than usual. Drinking more than was healthy. He was behaving like a pig rather than a man. You had tried your hardest not to let it bother you. But finding him curled into a hungover ball outside of your chambers was the last straw.

Gripping him by the ear you had dragged him inside, segregating him from the rest of the Red Keep. "What the fuck are you doing?" you growled at him, internally proud when he flinched a little at the tone of your voice. He winced, placing his head in his hands.

"My head is killing me," he muttered, slumping himself into a chair as you glared at him in disgust.

"You're a mess," you huffed slightly, watching as he scoffed. "You think this is funny?" you spat at him, your arms crossed over your chest and your eyebrows raised as you frowned down at him.

"No, I just-"

You cut off his words with a simple head tilt, causing him to fall silent. "You are the King and not a single one of your subjects respects you because you're becoming a drunken fool." You let out a deep sigh before speaking again. "You need to pull yourself together or we'll all suffer for your negligence."

"Don't try and tell me what to do, Y/N, you don't know what you're talking about," he murmured to you, his head still in his hand.

"Fuck you," you growled, shaking your head as you looked at the pathetic way he slumped in his chair. "When I married you I thought you were a good man; I don't see it anymore," you told him. You had tried so hard to remain calm in that moment, but your voice had betrayed you, cracking as you spoke.

"You can't talk to me like that," he started, pausing when you scoffed at him.

"Why not?" you uttered. "If you don't like the truth you should consider making some changes," you added and he shook his head at you.

"I won't sit and listen to this shit from my wife," he told you, getting to his feet and moving towards the door.

"You need to remember who you were before you became the King. I actually loved that version of you," you muttered. You shoved past your husband without hesitation, leaving him in your silent chambers.

You had managed to avoid Robert all day, not wanting to continue the disagreement in any way. But to say you were disappointed to end up alone in your bed was an understatement. You had expected him to come back, apologise, and get into bed with you. All would be forgiven and you would pretend the fight had never even happened. But Robert was a no show.

That was how you found yourself staring at the ceiling. It was unusual for him to never return to your chambers and despite your words you did love him. You were worried. After a while you had grown so restless that the only thing you could do was remove yourself from your bed. Wandering the halls would calm you. And besides, there was always a chance of coming into contact with your husband on your travels.

Your plan, however, was foiled when you pulled open the door to reveal Robert sitting facing the door. It was a sight to behold, your King splayed out on the floor like a child. He looked up at you in surprise as he heard the door open. "What are you doing awake?" he murmured as he got to his feet.

"I could ask you the same thing," you uttered, gesturing for him to come inside and moving out of his way. The two of you stood in silence for a moment until you decided that it would be easier if you broke it. "I couldn't sleep not knowing where you were," you mumbled and you saw him smile. "Don't laugh at me," you scolded him and he shook his head.

"I'm not laughing at you; I'm laughing at us," he explained as softly as he could. "I couldn't sleep thinking you were here all alone. I couldn't bare thinking off what could happen if I weren't here to keep you safe." You bit your lip as you smiled at him. "I love you, Y/N."

"I know, but each time I see you grow more boorish you make it harder for me to reciprocate that. I love you but I don't know how long I can keep this up, Robert." He nodded as you came closer to him. "Please just tell me you will try to do better," you murmured. You shifted forwards, wrapping him tightly in your arms.

"I'll try, I promise," he told you softly, his arms tightening around you. You could only nestle closer to him as he took a deep breath, inhaling the smell of your hair.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x