Young!Robert Baratheon x Reader - You're not alone

A/N- This is an imagine which I came up with whilst listening to the song 'You're not alone' by Astæa. There is something so moving and beautiful about it that when I went to the cinema and saw an advert with this song I began crying because it was just so overwhelming for me. Please make sure to give it a listen as I am sure that it will find its way into your soul.

"Please be safe," you muttered. You leant forward, pressing your forehead to his and letting your eyes drift shut. You were sure that in any other situation the action would have made Robert laugh. He had never been one for over-emotional acts of affection, especially not in front of others. You'd been dreading this day for months. The political happenings were bound to boil over and your husband would be forced into a war. When the time had come it had taken very little to make him don his armour.
"I'll come back to you," he uttered, leaning in to press his lips to yours in a rushed kiss. It caught you off guard, leaving you gasping for air as he took a step away from you. You stood as still as you could as Robert climbed onto his horse, sitting up beside his friends. Perhaps if you stood still time would stop and you could keep Robert safe forever. Or perhaps nothing would happen at all and you would remain alone in Storm's End. You had hoped it would be the former, but, as your husband looked down at you, you recognised his pleading gaze.
"Ours is the Fury," you muttered, just loud enough for him to hear. With that, you straightened your back and lifted your chin to lock eyes with Robert. He nodded, allowing a smile to come to his lips as he watched you. A few moments later he was riding out of the gates and towards a war that you had wished would never come.
*Time Skip*
Robert,It's with great pleasure that I pen this letter to you. The Maester says that I'm with child and that soon I will birth an heir for you. I hope with every fibre of my being that you'll be able to return before the babe arrives. I love you with all my heart,Y/N.
You smiled as the you watched the raven flying away from Storm's End. Soon it would be with your husband to deliver your news. He had only been gone for a few weeks but already you ached for him. You needed him to hold you in his arms, to kiss you and tell you that everything would be alright soon. You'd grown lonely without him, and had found that the maids did nothing to entertain you. Their chatter made you grow weary and you would end up alone with your sewing most days.
Since you had discovered your pregnancy you had grown even more lonely. You wanted Robert to be with you to see the babe's growth. You wanted him to see your stomach swell and feel when the child would kick within you. You had cried yourself to sleep most nights, but there was no way you could ever tell him that. He would feel guilty over something that was out of his control. You refused to shame him for something he couldn't avoid.
*Time Skip*
You smiled as the maid placed the folded parchment on the table in front of you. It had only been a few days, but from the sigil in the wax you knew it would be Robert's letter. You were quick to cut open the letter and unfurl his words, excited to see even the slightest hint of your husband.
My Dearest Y/N,I wish I could have been with you when you received such wonderful news. I can only imagine the excitement on your beautiful face when the maester told you. I'll try to be with you again before the babe is due, but I can't promise that it'll happen. Please remember that wherever I am you are not alone. I will always be with you and I hope that you can remember that I love you, especially when times get hard. All my Love,Robert.
You could feel the tears in your eyes as you lay the parchment back on the table. You attempted to take a deep breath to soothe yourself, but in its place a loud sob burst from your lips. You cried like a child that had been scolded, gasping for breath. You had been so sure that Robert would ride home to you as soon as he caught word of your pregnancy, but you'd been wrong. In a moment of brash honesty you grabbed a fresh parchment and scribbled out your words to him.
Robert,The distance between us seems to be making life harder than I had thought it would. Two minds which were once so close and so known to one another are now so far apart. It feels I no longer remember what it was like to know you at all. But I won't allow it to harm us. I'll hold on until you return to me, no matter when that may be. I love you, my sweet, and the way I care for you will never change because of distance, though I may miss you.Your ever faithful wife,Y/N.
*Time Skip*
"Y/N," you heard the yelling echoing through the halls of your home and quickly made your way out of your chambers. You let your hand rest on your swollen stomach as you hurried along the corridors.. You almost burst into tears when you finally saw your husband, scruffy and dirty, but waiting for you.
"You're here," you started, your voice catching in your throat, causing him to turn his gaze on you. He was at your side in an instant, his lips pressed to yours in a heated kiss.
"Look at you," he murmured, his hands drifting to your stomach and running gently over the bump. "Gods, I love you more than you will ever know," he added, leaning in again to kiss you and causing you to chuckle.
"What are you doing here?" you asked him, your voice interweaved with confusion. You continued to stare up at him, hoping to remember this moment for the rest of your life.
"I thought your letter was better answered in person," he told you quietly. His large hand came up to cup your cheek as he let his other hand remain on your stomach. "I needed you to know that I love you too," he continued and you let out a small bubble of laughter.
"I already know you love me," you murmured, still in disbelief at his sudden appearance. He laughed at your response before pulling you into another quick kiss. "How long do we have before you have to leave?"
"Not long, but I needed to see you," he uttered. In a swift movement, he wrapped his arms around your body and rested his chin on top of your head as you clung to him.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x