Beric Dondarrion X Reader - Flirtin' With Disaster

A/N -  This imagine is based on the song "Flirtin' With Disaster" by Molly Hatchet. I hope you all enjoy it.

You had never expected to take so easily to life on the road. You were a high-born lady, raised to be elegant and demure, and the life you were living was anything but. You would go weeks at a time without a proper meal, sleeping on a fur on a stone floor, and hoping that you'd last the night. But you had taken to it like a duck to water, swanning around as though you had lived this life for an eternity, rather than only a month or two. 

Beric had been thrown when he had discovered you, hiding amongst his men, disguising yourself as one of them. You had almost gotten away with it, had you not met him all those years before. Your father had insisted that you meet with a few suitors, and you had been less than enthused, sending each away with little care. Beric had been the only one to catch your attention, but you were as stubborn as an old mule and had sent him away nonetheless. 

He had spotted you immediately, his brows knitting together as he watched you speak with one of the men. How the others hadn't noticed was beyond him. You were so beautiful that he felt it was one of the most obvious things in the world to recognise you for what you were. A woman; a high-born one. 

You had noticed him too, and had gone about avoiding him in any way you could manage. But it hadn't worked, and as he had dragged you aside, you were certain that you had been caught. 

"What are you doing here, Lady Mallister?" 

You swallowed, attempting to clear your throat as you stared up at him. "I-"

"Be honest with me."

The words died in your mouth, disappearing before they could even be spoken. "I had to leave Seagard."

Beric's brow furrowed, watching as you released a deep sigh, shaking your head. "Why?"

"Gregor Clegane and his men raided it. I didn't intend to stick around and find out their intentions." You were frowning now, running your tongue over your teeth as you looked away from him. "They had already taken my father prisoner, I doubted I would have been given the same kind treatment from them had I stayed."

When you glanced up, Beric was nodding, his hand scratching at the scruff on his cheeks. "I didn't think they would go that far west," he murmured, releasing a deep sigh. "I ought to have warned your father."

You shrugged slightly. "It wouldn't have helped. We wouldn't have been able to defend it without Patrek and his men. And father would never abandon Seagard; not to the Lannisters." 

Beric nodded again, remaining silent as he began to shift on the spot. "These men do not know that you are a woman?"

You shook your head. "I thought I would be safer this way," you started, lifting your fingers to run over the jagged haircut. It was short, far shorter than you ever would have wanted in your usual life, but life had become anything but normal. 

"It suits you," Beric muttered before pausing, giving you a small, awkward smile. "You will keep traveling with us; I will try to protect you but I cannot guarantee your safety."

You quirked an eyebrow at Beric, forcing back a chuckle. "So, nothing will change?"

"You will live as a woman. As a Lady." 

The urge to role your eyes came suddenly, followed by a scoff. "There is nothing ladylike about living in a damp cave, Beric. And I have grown to prefer living without the title."

Beric gave a short nod. "Fine, then you will live as a low-born woman, with my protection."

*Time Skip*

"The only thing I've yet to grow used to is the smell," you murmured, slumping onto the ground beside Beric and sending him a small smile. "It's almost as though men are incapable of bathing as women do."

Beric chuckled, shaking his head. "You don't smell too great yourself, sweetheart." 

A smile pulled at your lips at the little nickname he had given you. He claimed it was the only way to keep himself from referring to you by your title, but you weren't buying it. You saw the way he looked at you, the smile on his face when you caught him watching you. "All women smell of roses and fresh lemon zest," you claimed, pulling your lips into a bright smile as you held back your own laughter.

"Not you though," he teased as you leant into his shoulder, causing him to wrinkle up his nose as he sniffed in your direction. "You smell like a man."

A short bark of laughter escape you at his comment, your hand slapping at his leg lightly as you leant further into him, feeling his arm come to rest around you. "That's just your smell overpowering mine. That what happens when a woman is surrounded by men all day, every day."

"How'd you figure that one out?" You could tell he was smirking, and you quickly shifted to look up at him, your face just inches from his. 

Your breath caught in your throat as you stared at him, eyes roaming over his face. "Experience," you muttered, pulling your gaze away and shifting back into a more comfortable position. 

Beric hummed his understanding, his arm tightening around your waist slightly and pulling you closer into his side. "I like that you smell like me," he started softly, clearing his throat before continuing. "Means you spend loads of time with me."

You chuckled slightly, nodding your agreement. "Yeah," you told him quietly, "I think I like it too."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x