I

In order to save myself, I must destroy first the me I was told to be
~The Dreamer

I stare out the window of my office over the city of Boston, the streets below filled with black and yellow. I cast a glance at my Mac, situated on the desk in front of me, to see that the hockey game will be starting in an hour.

I look back out the window and watch the water. Today most of the boats are moving out of the docks, casting out their beautiful sails.

The weather is too nice to be inside and working, especially on a Saturday, but here I am. Bored out of my mind and pretending to work on the latest advertisement for my boyfriend's family's company.

"How's the colour scheme coming?" 

I turn my attention to my boyfriend's voice. I give him an annoyed look as I take my feet off the desk and sit straight in the chair.

"Well sweetie, I haven't started." I smile through my red lips as I look at Will.

His blonde hair is styled to the side, exposing his pale skin and honey coloured eyes.

He's not who I pictured myself with.

Don't get me wrong, he's attractive but he's what my parents want for me.

The golden boy.

He is not what I want, I knew that by the age of seventeen.

We were little when we first met, he was already starting school and I was still at daycare with his sister. Our parents hit it off instantly and became close. After that, it didn't take long for our mothers to set up conjoined vacations.

I think it's always been set out that I would marry Will. I remember being young and listening to my mother gush about how handsome Will would be and what an amazing father he would make.

"But we need to get this done, it's due next Friday babe." Will gives me an irritated look. He has a vest on today instead of his usual blazer or suit. This is what he calls his casual look.

"Wow, we have a whole week to work on this and I'm here on a Saturday?" Over the past few months I have been drifting away from Will; my attitude has begun to show once again and my comments are sharp.

"This is very important, you know that. I don't understand what your problem is. It's not like this is the first time we've worked over a weekend." Will stands up from his desk and walks towards the door, "I'm getting a coffee."

That is exactly my problem - we are constantly here on weekends and even statutory holidays.

I roll my eyes at him and grab my phone. No new updates from my favourite band.

Fallen Angels

They are finishing their tour up after it was delayed due to the drummer's girlfriend having a premature baby. They have yet to release their date for Boston.

I log onto Twitter and check the band's twitter page. Nothing.

I turn my gaze back to the city and stare at the park that's across from the office. So many people enjoying the last of the warm weather. So many people that aren't me.

Will graces me with his presence once again with one coffee and sits down at his laptop. He doesn't acknowledge me, just gets right into his work.

My parents own a construction company that builds high rises, much like the one I'm currently in, and they have been using Will's parents' company since they met them to market their buildings.

I guess our marriage will be the final deal that cements our two companies together, marketing and constructing.

I was okay with dating Will in the beginning, we were so in love. I couldn't imagine a life where we weren't together, but now I can't imagine a life with him.

Will's phone rings startling me from my own thoughts. He answers it and puts on his business voice, but to me, it just sounds fake.

This whole life is fake.

I'm drowning in my life.

I take one last look at Will before looking at the view. The bright sun, the clear water, the green of the park, the hustle and bustle of the city.

I grab my phone and purse and stand up. Will doesn't look away from the notepad he is currently scribbling on when I head for the door.

I'll hear about me leaving work, but that is a problem for later. I need to leave before the madness becomes overwhelming.

And so I do.

Cover by SarcasticWife

Edited by GirlReader133