XCIX

Hold on as we crash into the earth
A bit of pain will help us suffer when you're hurt
For real 'cause you were driving me crazy
~ Blink-182, After-Midnight 

I wait by the stairs after the show like Erik had texted me.

Kia and my brother are waiting with Caroline and Aaron as well, chatting between the three of them. Marcus is holding Aaron and looking at the toddler with so much love and admiration.

Aaron turned one at the beginning of July and has already entered the stage of tantrums.

Out of the children I have been around, Aaron is the most vocal.

Constantly babbling or attempting to sing, and if he's not doing either of those, he's screaming bloody murder.

Looking at Marcus, I can't help but think how good of a dad he would be. He would be the dad that would spend the day building forts out of boxes and dressing in costumes just to make his child smile. His imagination can match that of a child.

Marcus laughs as Aaron grabs at his bracelet and tries to pull it to his mouth.

My eyes drift over to Kia, who is eyeing the baby, unsure of what to do. In the past, at family events, she tried to avoid the younger children and would be around the older kids.

Her eyebrow raises as Aaron reaches out for her necklace and Kia takes a step away from the child.

"Scared?" I question Kia as she leans further away from Aaron.

"No, I just don't know how to act around children and would rather not be strangled by a toddler." Kia holds the necklace close to her neck as Aaron reaches even further.

"Do you want to hold him? I know your brother has been hogging him for the last few days." Caroline offers.

"I don't really like kids, no offence." I say awkwardly, here come the shocked looks and lectures about how that will all change.

"That's fair. Kids are not for everyone, and I respect that. My sister is the same way even though it is her nephew." Caroline shrugs her shoulders, "I'm guessing you won't be having one any time soon?"

"I don't know. Erik and I both are busy, and children have never been what I pictured being a part of my life. If it happens, it happens, but I'm not going to willingly go off my birth control any time soon."

"I wish Devon and I had been smarter about our birth control instead of just relying on the pill. I love Aaron, but the timing wasn't great with the band and all, but hey, they wouldn't have been in Boston for your birthday if everything had worked out." Caroline laughs as she reaches into her purse and grabs a bag of fruit for Aaron.

"How is it dating with Aaron?" I ask, knowing not that long ago Devon had said she was in a relationship.

"I'm not, truth be told I keep comparing them to Devon and the breakup made me realize how much I valued him; not only as a partner but also as a father even though he wasn't there all the time. It is just hard, besides the schedule and distance, there was no reason to break up." Caroline pauses, "Avril, I want to apologize for how I acted towards you when I met you, I just have known these guys for such a long time. I see them as a family, and I thought you were another girl like Ava. That wasn't fair of me to do that to you."

"Apology accepted, I would have been the same way, and I'm happy that we can put that all behind us. I like being around you, Caroline."

"When this is finished, you need to come over and I'll cook you a traditional Cuban meal and teach you how to swear at the boys in Spanish. Makes them listen." Carlonie winks at me, and her honey coloured eyes fill with the administration one may share with a sister.