XCIII

While we are passing through space
I don't care if we fall from grace
I'll follow you down
~ Shinedown, I'll Follow You 

"What do you think the city lights will look like in Europe?" Erik asks as we sit on top of the bus, looking over another new city with a blanket wrapped around us.

"The same as here?" I question, not sure how city lights could look different.

"Even with the cities we will be travelling in? Some of them will be as old as time, have seen lovers like us walking through their streets."

"I can't wait to tour the world with you, whether it's with your book or with the band."

I bite down my bottom lip as I think about how I still haven't told Erik about the book tour I am turning down.

I don't understand why I keep putting off telling him, I know he will support me with whatever decision I make, and I trust him, but I'm just nervous.

"There's something I need to tell you," I tell him, but I don't look at him; instead, I stare at the skyline of Columbia.

It is hard to factor in that in less than a week, the last run of Warped Tour will be over, and the end of an era that brought so many people joy will be over.

"What's up? You seem tense." Erik squeezes his hand that's resting on my shoulder. I sit forward away from the warmth of his body as I prepare to tell him my decision.

"The publishing company I'm with offered me a book tour for the fall."

"That's amazing, that means they like your book then if they are already organizing a book tour." I can practically hear the smile in Erik's voice as he reaches for me.

"I turned it down." I look at his face for his reaction to my words.

I didn't realize the weight those four words had until I said it, I have turned down what could have been the most significant pivot point in my career.

His face speaks his words for him; why?

He's utterly speechless with me, and I think this is the first time that has occurred.

Never has he been this speechless with me.

"Can you close your mouth? You're kinda making me uncomfortable with the look on your face."

"I'm trying to figure out why the fuck you would turn that down."

"Because it's at the same time as your tour, and my brother will be on tour for a short time as well as I will be meeting your family. This European tour isn't just about Fallen Angels being a name in households; it's about us becoming a family. I can't miss that."

"You should have talked to me before you told the publisher no, we could have worked with the guys to make your tour work." Erik laces our fingers together and rubs his thumb over the back of my hand.

"I don't want you to change your plans because of me." I know that the band would change their plans for me with no questions asked, but so much time and effort has put into the tour already, not to mention the fans who have bought tickets already for the tour dates.

Most of the dates are sold out, and they had to add more shows in multiple cities because the demand was so high.

So for them to change their dates now could cost the band hundreds of thousands of dollars, not to mention the money invested by the label to advertise and plan the six-month tour.

"How long is the tour?"

"The email didn't have a time frame just that it would be in ten different cities in the states, and that includes one in Canada. So I guess 9 US and 1 Canadian city, so however long that would take." I brush a curl back behind my ear as I watch Erik's body movements; he looks so relaxed, unlike me.

I am full of nerves for making a decision.

I thought maybe rejecting the book tour would be an easier decision, but now I'm feeling neither are "easy."

"You could do that in three weeks if you spaced it out, or you could probably do it in two weeks."

"What are you saying?" I question him, he is mumbling to himself rather than speaking to me.

"Do the tour and then join us on tour, it's a short time and will give you the time to explore another part of your life for a bit."

"You think I should do the tour?"

"Yes, you helped me live my life and got Fallen Angels to the point we are at now. Now it's my turn to support your dreams and yeah, being away from you for that period will suck, but that's the life we choose baby, and we are just going to need to work through that." He kisses my knuckles as he stares into my eyes, "I love you, and I want you to see you succeed."

I stare at him as a smile breaks out on my face, how the fuck did I get this lucky?

"Don't worry, we'll have the internet to fulfill our needs," Erik smirks at me as he stares at the tank top I'm wearing.

"And you've ruined the moment." I laugh as I lean back into his chest.

He wraps his arms around me as well as the blanket, "you know I'll miss more than just your body. Not like we have had the privacy here to do all the things I want to do to you."

"So, I'm doing this?"

"You're doing it."

I smile at the moment that consumes me, being here on the bus roof, looking at the stars wrapped in my soulmate's embrace. Our lives are starting to become a love song that carries through the ages.