XXXI

I Know that you're burning up for me
Fire in your bloodstream
Moving through you at light-speed
~ Three Days Grace, Infra-Red

"What are you two doing out here?" Erik takes a seat across from Scar and I as he pulls a package of cigarettes from his jean pocket, "why do you have two beers?"

Scar glances down at the two bottles in her hand; a full one and a half empty one.

"Thirsty." Scar shrugs her shoulders before getting out of the chair, "I'll leave you two lovebirds, I have hearts to break."

Scar gives me a tispy wink as she walks by before entering the house, submerging Erik and I into loneliness.

"Is she okay?" Erik questions after taking a puff from the cancer stick between his fingers.

"Wouldn't know." I pull the blanket that covers my legs up more as I watch the fire dance, enjoying the calmness of the night and the giddy feeling of the song I was able to write for Scar to perform at their next show.

Or at least that is the plan.

"How was your day besides the whole Liam thing, which I am so sorry for? I wish I would have done more." I glance at Erik and the remorse that covers his features.

"There's nothing more you could have done." All I want to do is forget that today happened and move on from the event.

I was told I wouldn't have to worry about him again and that security will be on high alert for Liam.

Some people just can't seem to understand what no and fuck off mean.

"Let's go do something." I raise my eyebrows at Erik as he leans towards me, displaying his tattoos and the tightness of his shirt across his biceps.

"No." Only when we are alone and the sun has fallen does Erik come crawling for my attention.

His eyebrows shoot up his head in shock at my reply.

"Why?" He asks as he moves closer to me. We both eye the empty spot beside me, both with different intentions.

"Not in the mood to be played with." I don't look at Erik, but instead, focus my attention on my notebook and the blank pages.

"What the fuck are you talking about, Avril?" I roll my eyes at Erik, but I do look at him. I do see the confusion in his eyes.

"I'm just another toy to you, Erik! I know I said I don't care what we are, but that's a lie. I want to be more than whatever we are, I understand you don't do dating and only want casual and that I said I want casual, but I can't do it. I like the idea of being just yours and no one else's. I like the idea that I'm the one that gets to kiss your salty lips after you're done performing or the one that inspires you to sing. The one that every girl wishes to be, not the girl everyone is. Erik, I like you a whole lot more than I thought I did and I really thought I could do this, but if you just want a toy, I can't do this anymore." I have mixed feelings as I push the words off my chest and into the air to hang. I feel a sense of power as I take control of the situation, but I fear that he's going to get up and walk away.

"Come with me?"

"What?" I stare at him in confusion, I can't read his facial expression, but his hand hangs in the air, much like my words, waiting on my response.