LV

And I'm not spiritual
but please stay'
Cause I think you're a saint and I think you're an angel
~ PVRIS, St. Patrick

"So this is where I spend most of my time." We follow Marcus into a huge library filled to the brim with books.

As we walked into the massive building I can feel the rich history, from the old books to the hand-carved bookshelves.

"You hang out in a library for fun?" Kai stops behind us with a perplexed look on her face as Marcus and I continue to walk further into the library.

"I also work here." Marcus states proudly as he leads to us a large desk with a petite woman behind it, "I'm able to study and get paid. Hello, Mary."

"I'd rather not study," Kai grumbles as we follow behind and wave to the older woman.

"What are you failing now?" I ask, knowing Kai was failing some of her tests at the beginning year, but I thought she had gotten extra help.

"Math. I don't even need math, I don't want to go to college. I want to surf professionally or at least work for my uncle."

We all know this, but we also know that it won't happen.

Our family is destined to attend college, no matter how much we try to fight it.

I sigh as I look at my cousin, so filled with passion to go against our family as if it was her life's duty. "You know it will never happen, you may not bear the Lexington name, but it runs through your veins. One way or another you will attend post-secondary."

Our mother may be a Ryan, but she has imposed the beliefs of the Lexingtons on the rest of her family.

Kai sends me a glare, but I can see in her eyes that she knows that I am right.

"Are you guys getting hungry? There's a cute bakery across the street that has good pastries and coffee." Marcus jumps in, trying to stop a conversation each of us had endured dozens of times with our family.

I think my dad was happy that Marcus was going to school without a fight, even if it was an arts program at Trinity College, rather than having a child like Kai, who has been refusing since she was eleven.

"I could eat." At the mention of food Kai's face lights up and rushes to Marcus's side, "lead the way."

One thing I've learned with Kai is that if you want her to be happy, bring her food especially those acai bowls.

I've watched her devour three of those in one sitting and she still walked out of the place without a food baby.

"Shocking." I laugh as I follow behind them, and we exit the beautiful building filled with more books than I would ever be able to read.

As we sit down in the bakery, Marcus goes ahead and orders a bunch of pastries for us, wanting us to taste almost every kind the bakery offers.

"Av, do you ever think about publishing some of your work?" Kai asks as Marcus sits back down with three cups in hand.

I take one of the cups and hold it between my hands, feeling the warmth spreading below my skin. I've been asked this question many times, but the answer was always no, but now that Kai is asking I can't say no.

"I would like to, but I don't think my work is good enough to be published," I say truthfully. I truly believe no one would read my work and that scares me.

"You're crazy, your work is amazing." Kai practically yells at me.

"When have you read my work?" The only people I've shared my work with were Marcus and Erik, "did you take my notebook when I was sleeping on the plane?"

"I wanted to know what the raving was all about, Marcus wouldn't shut up about your work during the summer! He said it was some of the best poetry he's ever read."

I look at my brother who's sitting there, quietly drinking his coffee as Kai tries to defend her actions.

"Avril, I'm going to be honest with you, your work is amazing and I think you should share it with the rest of the world. I honestly believe you could be the next Rupi Kaur, but I also think you should return Erik's text, but hey what do I know? You didn't listen to me about the Erik so it is obvious you won't listen to me, the one studying art and history, about your poetry."

"What does studying art and history have anything to do with poetry?" Kai asks with a look of confusion on her face, "it would be more believable if you were in some English degree, but you aren't."

I roll my eyes at Kai's taunts towards Marcus, definitely cousins.

"No, but I did take some classes on classic literature." That seems to shut Kai's mouth, "you came here to find yourself and discover who you are? What if you were meant to write poetry, but because you let fear control you, you never reached your potential."

I rub my arms as I become uncomfortable with the thought of bearing my soul to the harsh world that we live in, the same world that tears down some of the strongest people I know.

"What if I fail?" I question, knowing very well that if I fail it will be a real blow to myself.

"What if you succeed?" Kai fires back.

"Remember what I told you before you took the job with the band? To do something that scares you and that if you don't take this job you will regret it? This is no different, if you don't share your work, you will regret it."

I run my fingers through my hair as I take in their words and the motivation for me to chase after a dream I've had since I was a little girl.

I bite my lip as Erik's words filter through my brain, carpe noctem.

"Okay," I breathe out as my family erupts into cheers, "I'm going to head back to the library and get started."

I slip out of the booth with my notebook in hand, so many ideas running through my mind.

As soon as I'm in a chair, tucked away from the noise, I lose myself in the writing.

When I finally look up, the streets are lit with streetlights and I have a finished book titled The Fall of an Angel.

Edited by GirlReader133