XC

You started something that you just couldn't stop,
You turned the ones that you love into the angriest mob.
And their one last wish is that you pay for it
~ Shinedown, Enemies 

Kyle has started to come around to his normal self once Erik and I both talked to him, but up until then, he was a mess.

There were times we didn't think he would make it on stage but it seemed once he was on stage with his guitar in hand all his problems seemed to drift away.

I would find Kyle curled up with a pen and notebook, but he never would tell us what he was doing or take a look when we questioned him.

Erik predicted it was another song while Lucas thought he was just venting his feelings into the notebook rather than at us.

Devon had been trying to comfort his brother but Kyle had kept shrugging him off or redirecting questions. I know Devon was getting annoyed with his behaviour since Kyle wasn't being his open self and all that he wanted to do was help his little brother.

It is starting to drive a wedge between the two brothers.

Erik hasn't heard anything from his aunt or cousin since we left Chicago.

I ask a few times about what is going on with the song and Erik doesn't know much or he just doesn't feel like dealing with it till after the tour has ended. From what I hear, the record label is loving the attention that has come out from the whole situation and sales have increased.

Sometimes bad publicity is good publicity and in this case, this is very true.

"Hey, Avril?" I look up from my computer where I am scanning through emails about the book I wrote back at Christmas, the publisher has sent me some ideas about the cover and now all I need to do is release it and then production can start.

"What's up Kyle?" I ask as I notice the same notebook is in hand like it has been for the past few days.

"Does this sound okay?"

"Let me hear." I offer a soft smile to him, worried about how he will react.

He hasn't shared any details about what he is doing and always hides the book from us, so this is unexpected.

"You're like the burden we bear, you love the hate that we share."

I take a moment to think over the words before answering him, "what tone do you want to use with it because I think they are good alone but the tone will make it."

"Angry, definitely angry."

"Okay... well I think it sounds great." I didn't know how to respond to him, Kyle and Scarlett are both my friends even with all the shit that has been going on. I can only assume Kyle is working on a song about Scarlett, again, and this one sounds even angrier than the last.

I hope this won't have negative effects on either party, god knows we don't need that.

"Okay, that was the final touch I needed." He says as he smiles down at the paper in front of him.

"What did you do?" My voice dripping with suspicion and my eyes narrowed at him.

"You will find out with the rest." All I can do is raise an eyebrow at Kyle and wait around for him to show us when he is ready.

"You would tell me if something was wrong?"

"Yes, of course." Kyle looks over the notebook one last time before heading to the bunks.

I try to focus my attention back on my computer but I can't seem to stop thinking about Kyle's words.

It's obvious they're lyrics to a song that is most definitely directed towards Scarlett, but beyond that I am unsure.

Does it involve the whole band or is it just about Kyle?

Erik emerges from the bathroom with a towel slung over his shoulder and a toothbrush in hand, "what are you staring at?"

"Kyle was just here, he asked me for my opinion on what I think is a lyric."

"Oh?" Erik takes the seat across from me, which Kyle occupied not even five minutes ago, "what was it?"

"You're like the burden we bear, you love the hate that we share."

Erik is quiet as he listens to me and even after I repeat what Kyle told me.

"What are you thinking about?" I question him, wanting to know what is running through his mind.

"Just what Kyle is growing through and my cousin, I know he will be mad if we don't agree to whatever he's been working on but I don't want to hurt my cousin even though that's what she's done to us," Erik sighs, "she's still my baby cousin."

"What are you going to do?"

"Talk to Devon and Lucas, maybe call my aunt depending on what is revealed, but Kyle isn't wrong either."

I don't push Erik further with questions, knowing very well what he is implying; the past few months have been hell for the band.

There is a lot of tension in the band without the drama that has come with Scarlett; Devon is missing his son and is now single, Lucas is coming out with his sexuality, Kyle is dealing with two heartbreaks within a year, and Erik is overcoming his demons left by his parents.

And me? I am learning to accept myself and take risks without thinking about what others are going to think about me.

"I'm going to head to bed, we have an early morning show tomorrow." Erik kisses my cheek, leaving me alone once again.

I once again try to focus on the email in front of me.

Erik is getting his dream and now it is my turn to get mine and start focusing on me.

I start going through the emails I have been putting off about my book.

My attention is drawn towards a particular one, a book tour in the fall around the same time Erik will be on tour with Fallen Angels for their new album in Europe.

In big bold letters is the words "North America".

Edited by  @GirlReader133