LXIV

A way to make it back someday
To watch you, to guide you
Through the darkest of your days
~ The Calling, Wherever You Will Go

"Why are you here on a Friday morning, don't you have work today?" I grumble as I open the door to see Isla standing there with two cups of coffee and a rather large duffle bag.

"No, I got the day off." Isla hands me the coffee before walking in and setting down her duffle bag, "I work tomorrow night, I have to interview Fall Out Boy and tomorrow night is the only time they have free. You should come, I bet I could bring you with."

"I thought you were an editor, why are you interviewing FOB?" I rub the sleep from my eyes as I follow behind her.

She's so confusing.

"Well a position opened up for a journalist spot and that is what I originally went for school for so I applied and got the job." Isla beams at me like a toddler who just drew a stick figure.

"So why did you apply to the editor job?"

"I always wanted to work for Kerrang, any job would have done in all honesty."

"We are more similar than I'd realized, but why are you here this early though? Not that I don't like seeing you and all."

"Thought we could have a relaxing day, binge-watching some tv and wear facemasks. What do you think?"

"I don't know, I have a lot of work to do for the band, they want me to start working on promoting the new album."

"Well, you can do that and wear a face mask. We can have a relaxing work day." Isla offers, "I feel like I haven't seen you in forever. You are constantly at meetings."

"Okay fine, but I seriously need to work." I give Isla a pointed look, hoping she understands that I mean business.

"Yes, I get it, now drink your coffee up. You're bitchy without it." I shot Isla a glare, why am I friends with her?

We ended up on the couch each with our laptops and the sixth season of Vampire Diaries playing as background noise as we work through our long lists of things to do.

"Well, I'm done for the day, how about you?" I ask Isla as I close my laptop and set it down on the coffee table.

"It's already four thirty, yeah I am done." Isla practically throws her laptop on the table as she fishes her phone from the blankets that cover us.

"What do you want to do for dinner?" I ask as I stand up to stretch, my legs and back too stiff to move.

"I think Kyle wants to go out with Devon and Caroline."

"Are those two good?" I question as I start cleaning up after our lazy/productive Friday.

"Um, I'm not sure, I think that is what today is about. Devon has been sleeping at the house with guys rather than with Caroline. I truthfully don't see this going well."

I sigh knowing that Isla is probably right and the engagement will probably be called off tonight.

"That's unfortunate, do you want to get dresses here, so you can just go from here to the restaurant?" I don't want to dwell on the negative, maybe they will work through it and this was just a detour in their journey.

"Sure, do you mind if I take a shower?"

"Go ahead, I'm just going to do some cleaning." I smile at Isla.

I pull my phone out of the pocket of my sweats to see no text messages from Erik, not even a snap.

I set my phone down and start the water for the sink.

My boring Friday night.

"Hey! Can you help me pick out an outfit?" Isla yells from the bedroom after about ten minutes.

I walk into the room to see her standing in a towel with two very different outfits, both very casual and cute.

"These are your options?" I ask, taking a seat on the bed to look at them.

One is a cute yellow floral dress with a jean jacket and brown leather sandals, more Isla's style.

The second one is more my style; cutoff jeans, a red flannel, a t-shirt and black vans.

"Well, you are going for dinner with your boyfriend's family so I'm going with the dress. You don't even wear flannel." I scoff at her before giving her the clothes.

"I do too, but go change into the other outfit." Isla pushes the second outfit into my arms and me into the hallway.

What the fuck?

Why do I need to get changed if the only thing I am doing is lying around watching some crime show tonight?

I end up putting the outfit as Isla told me to do.

It's cute; something I would pick out for myself, especially the flannel.

I end up tying it around my waist rather than throwing it on.

As soon as she is gone I am changing back into my sweats.

"You look so good." I comment once I come back into my bedroom, "I've never seen that dress before. Did you bring that from home?"

"Yeah, you don't think the yellow clashes with my hair?" Isla asks as she stares at herself in the mirror, fiddling with her hair.

"No, I think the yellow and the red go nicely together. Do you want me to braid your hair? I think it would look cute."

"Sure, can I do your makeup and hair too?"

"Why?" I question her, "I'm not doing anything later."

"I know, but I did say that this would be a girls day and I don't want you to feel left out." Isla gives me the biggest puppy dog eyes.

"Fine." I sigh, I can't say no to her, she's got that look down.

Poor Kyle.

I sit in the chair and let Isla at my face before she throws half of my hair into a bun and leaves the rest down. 

"Happy?" I ask as we switch spots. I start with her eyes, knowing that is how she normally does it.

I hardly see Isla without makeup so to see her freckles is a real treat, "why don't you show off your freckles more often?"

"Why don't you?" Isla fires back at me.

I shut up after that as I finish her makeup and hair.

"Let me know how the dinner goes," I call out to Isla as she picks up her things and heads for the door.

"Will do, try not to have too much fun tonight." Isla winks at me before leaving me alone in my apartment, "oh I left a jacket out for you to throw on."

"Fucking weirdo. Guess I can take this all off," I mumble to myself as the doorbell rings.

"What did you forget!" I yell out as I swing the door open to see Erik there dressed in his signature look; ripped black jeans, leather jacket and of course Dr. Martens.

"Hey, beautiful." He laughs at me before planting a kiss on my cheek, "this is for you."

He hands me a small cactus.

"What is this for?" I question as I take it and set it down on the table beside the door.

"I know you don't like flowers so I got you a plant."

Flowers?

"Why?"

"Isn't that what you do when you are going on a date?" Erik laughs, "c'mon go grab your coat."

"We are going on a date?" I ask as I back peddle into my apartment to see my favourite leather jacket out.

"Yes." Erik shakes his head at me, "you would think you've never been on a date with the way you are acting."

My phone buzzes from my back pocket, a single text message from Isla.

enjoy your date girl ;)

Edited by GirlReader133