IV

she wore a thousand face all to hide her own
~ atticus

"So, wait, tell me what happened again?" I hold the door open for the female replica of my boyfriend as we exit Starbucks, Katie with her caramel Frappuccino and me with my Americano.

"I feel like I told you this a thousand times since it happened." I roll my eyes at the blonde as we walk towards a store that Katie loves. She insisted we needed to go shopping for tonight as it's my birthday and a new outfit is needed for the occasion.

You only turn twenty-four once.

"Yeah but that happened like two days ago and I still don't believe you." Katie may be my best friend but there are times I really question why we are. She acts like she's superior to me.

"Why would I lie about seeing Erik Hawthorne?" Katie shrugs her shoulders before opening the store to the boutique, "exactly."

"So, you saw him? It's not like he came and talked to you, big deal." Oh, but it was a big deal when you thought you saw someone who was Kylie Jenner?

I would love to say that, but I've learned it's better to bite my tongue than to get into it with Katie. She can be the living, breathing Regina George when she's provoked.

"I guess you're right, what do you think you'll wear for tonight?" Before the concert, we are going out for dinner, no doubt to some fancy place even though I would rather have pizza at home.

"I'm thinking a dress with lots of cutouts and skin tight. Maybe in red, let's see how this plays out." I want to say something about how the concert is in a dive bar and that she will stick out like a sore thumb, but once again I'm biting my tongue. I can't wait for that shit show.

I haven't even taken a sip of my coffee before I'm being pulled out of the store and Katie is complaining about the lack of selection.

Probably because you were just there yesterday.

I'm not sure where all these thoughts are coming from as I follow behind.

"Why don't we just go to the mall?" I suggest.

"Yeah sure, wanna walk there?" I look at Katie with a raised eyebrow as this girl doesn't walk, "I don't feel like going to the gym tonight."

The walk isn't that far, and we mostly walk in silence, every so often one of our phones will go off, but besides the walk is quiet.

"What's up with you and Will?" I turn to look back at Katie who is standing with a hand on her hip.

"Nothing, why?" I walk back towards her even though she has a murderous look on her face.

"He told me what happened at the office on Saturday, what the hell is wrong with you? Is my brother not good enough for you?"

Wow, that wasn't an attack at all.

"No? I just didn't want to be indoors on such a beautiful day. I knew he wouldn't leave the room, so I left."

What I really want to say is, "Your brother is boring."

"He would do anything for you, Avril."

"I know that, but it's boring sometimes."

Oh fuck, I shouldn't have said that and by the look on Katie's face, I'm correct.

"You know he loves you." I pause from taking a drink of my espresso to look at my best friend.

Of course, I know my boyfriend loves me, that isn't the point of this conversation.