LXXVI

I want to break free
I want to break free from your lies
~ Queen, I Want To Break Free

I remember when Marcus came out to me about being bisexual he was fifteen and I was seventeen. I didn't think anything else about it, he was the same boy playing sports and being a shit towards any form of authority. He was still the same bad boy he had made himself out to be and the captain of every sports team he was on, the same boy that had different girls over every weekend and boys when Anthony was away at school and our parents were on business.

I never saw him differently, if anything I saw him as who he really was, not the boy hiding away.

For two years he kept a secret until he was seventeen and had just received acceptance letters from all the top Ivy schools in North America.

I distinctly remember sitting around the table at the mandatory Sunday brunch with my family, pushing eggs around my plate, listening to my parents talk about how great Anthony was doing in his last year of school and how I should take notes.

Marcus had been quiet the whole morning, shifting in his seat.

If I had been a better sister, maybe I would have seen the signs and could have protected my baby brother from our family.

The moment he confessed his sexuality, all hell broke loose. Never had I heard my parents use such vile language to one of their own, threatening to disown him and to send him away.

They kicked him out shortly after and he finished the rest of his grade 12 year living at Kai's house where they accepted him and didn't question him when boys were over, only ever telling him to use protection.

My parents never showed up to his graduation or to see him off at the airport, it was all my aunt and uncle.

Even before I left they acted like that part of their life didn't exist.

I stare at Lucas, knowing the strength and courage it will take him. Something my parents had extinguished in Marcus for a short period of time.

I look into his eyes to see determination, "are you sure?"

"I don't want to lie about who I am anymore, I want people to know that I am gay. I am proud to be gay." Lucas whispers low enough so no one can hear us.

I place my hand on his folded hands, which are resting gently in his lap.

I am going to give him the encouragement and strength I should have given Marcus when he decided to come out to my parents.

Maybe our lives would be different.

"I support you with your decision and I have your back." I feel the bus's engine come to life as I finish my sentence, "even if we are stuck on a bus to Mountain View, wherever that is."

"Thank you, Avril, that means a lot to me." Lucas takes a shaky breath to calm his nerves before nodding his head at me.

I give his hand a tight squeeze in reassurance.

I don't think this will go wrong, all the people on this bus right now are some of the most laid back and accepting people I know.

But you never know.

"I have something to say," Lucas speaks up and catches Isla and Erik's attention who both look at him while Devon and Kyle keep chatting.

Isla gives a quick jab to Kyle's ribs before nodding her head in our direction.

Kyle gives her a nasty look, "what was that for?"

"Lucas has something to say, so shut the hell up."