XCV

I can see a new horizon underneath the blazing sky
I'll be where the eagle's flying higher and higher
Gonna be your man in motion
~ John Parr, St. Elmo's Fire 

I know with the end of the tour, our lives will be changing, and with only three more shows, that reality is becoming very real.

I wander around the grounds, watching the crowds around me as they race from stage to stage or stop to take photos with their friends.

It makes me realize why the boys love this tour so much, not only because of the music but because they get to interact with their fans. They have the opportunity to stand in a crowd and listen to the music that makes them forget that they're a part of Warped Tour.

Kyle describes it as being fourteen again, looking forward to one thing during the summer that makes all the long hours at work worth it. It makes him relieve the happiest moments of his life.

"You're Avril Hawthorne!" A girl that looks to be fifteen with a stunning shade of pink hair stops me in my tracks.

"Yes?" I think the girl could tell I was taken aback as she gives me a big smile.

"I'm a big fan of your work, and I always look forward to seeing your posts on Instagram!"

I stare at her, stunned out of my mind; someone recognized me here and knew my work.

"I was hoping to run into you here, so I brought my copy of your new book." She reaches into the gym bag slung over her shoulder and produces one of the pre-order copies of my poetry book, "would you mind signing it for me? I know you did that for the first 100 people that bought your book, but I was in class, and I couldn't."

I take the book in my hands and look at the cover, the cover that I spent hours perfecting.

The cover that was giving me my dreams and the freedom to break free.

"I would love to, who should I make it out to?"

The girl beams up at me with such a bright and happy smile to the point where I can't see her eyeliner anymore, "Winter!"

I carefully balance the book in my hand as I scribble a few words inside the book before handing it back to her.

"Could I get a picture with you too? I want to be able to remember this moment."

"You don't need to explain; I get it." I smile as I let her hug me while her friend, who was standing off to the side the whole time, takes Winter's phone.

"So, where are Erik and the rest of the band?" Winter asks as she takes her phone back from her friend and steps away.

"I think they are watching Beartooth, not sure where they all wandered off to." I smile at her.

"I think we are going to head to Palaye Royale, maybe we will see you later!" Winter gives me one more before catching up with the group waiting for her and walking off in the direction I came from.

I stand there watching the group of friends laughing and pushing each other around.

It reminds me of when Anthony, Marcus, and Kia all went for Kia's first time. That was also the last time Anthony did anything with Marcus and me our parents didn't force.

He also changed that summer from a somewhat average teenager to the Golden Boy you would find at county clubs and business meetings. He reminded me of Nate in the earlier seasons of Gossip Girl.

I send a quick text to the group chat with Kia and Marcus in it, knowing neither will see it for a couple of hours. Marcus is still in Dublin and will be out for dinner, and Kia will be just getting to work.

I wish they could have been here for one show, just for old times sake.

I head to the stage Erik told me to meet him at, and of course, it is on the other side of the grounds.

Motionless in White better be playing.

I have tried to watch their performance in every city, and I can proudly say I have seen them play more than Fallen Angels.

I notice Devon on the phone standing off to the side near the food trucks. He notices me and waves me over to him with a smile on his face.

"What are you happy about?" I laugh as he wraps his arms around me.

"Caroline is going to come on tour with us and she's going to bring Aaron since I barely got to see them this summer. I honestly can't wait to be back in LA and see how big he's gotten. He will be just over a year now." I can tell the newfound fame and increase in travel has been hard on Devon especially since he and Caroline broke up. They are still living together but she didn't come on the tour like they had planned so that Devon wouldn't miss the big milestones of Aaron's life.

"That's amazing, is she going to be on all of the tour?"

"I think she is going to try for the majority since we don't know with her work and how Aaron will do with the constant change. I'm happy to be on tour, but I feel like the break we are taking after will be rewarding. Who knows maybe I won't be the only dad in the band anymore."

"Don't look at me."

"Just think, little Eriks running around the studio, might as well dye your hair grey now."

"I don't think anyone could handle that, not even Nanny McPhee."

"You are probably right, come on we better meet up with the rest of the band they are at the stage Motionless in White is playing on." Devon and I banter back and forth as we walk towards the stage.

Devon is keeping an eye out for the guys since his height gives him an advantage when looking for a few people in a crowd full of darkly dressed teens and adults.

Devon grabs my hand and pulls me in the opposite direction I was looking, pushing our way through the crowd and briefly acknowledging the people around us.

Stupid rock band fame.

"Took you guys long enough." The familiar femine voice shocks me as I see my cousin Kia standing there beside Erik with my brother Marcus.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I ask in complete shock as I hug the two of them.

"Erik told us how much you were missing us and we wanted to congratulate you on your book in person." Marcus says as he pulls out a small box from his short pockets, "here. I saw this and it reminded me of you."

In the box was a simple silver chain necklace with a Celtic knot pendant.

"What's the knot?"

"Family, I got Kia and I the same necklace too."

I pull them into another hug before looking around at the faces in front of me, the family that I have managed to find within the last year. A family I am proud of and aren't ashamed to say I am part of.

I know with them I can take anything that is thrown our way, we have proven it over and over. 

Edited by GirlReader133
Avril's cover by BlackRaven-