XIX

Try to grow my wings but he holds me down
Single file to bliss, how could I ever resist?
But when I turn to you I find heaven on the ground
~ The Relentless, Me Against The Devil

Erik's Pov

"Where did you run off to? You missed the interview." The annoying emo girl beside me complains as I walk back onto the bus parked outside the bar for our Boston show tonight .

"I was with this really crazy redhead," I smirk and fist bump Lucas as I walk by him and to the bunks.

"That interview was important, do you not want to go on The Vans Warped Tour?" Scarlett yanks on my arm as I attempt to get back into my bunk.

"Let go, Scarlett." I throw a tired look at her. I know she is mad at me for missing this interview.

"Did you finish writing the new song?" Her voice is pleading for me to have actually done something besides fucking up our chances of going anywhere.

"No," I say coldly and I watch the anger fill her face, I watch as she storms away from me and off of the bus.

"You need to stop fucking up," Kyle says from his bunk, I shoot him a dirty look as I get into my bunk.

"That's the only thing I can do." I close the curtains to my bunk, plunging me into darkness. Plunging me into my own personal hell.

I try to block out the creeping feeling of being alone, a feeling I've known for so long.

I close my eyes shut and try to picture the girl from last night at the club, the blonde locks that bounced whenever she moved. The way a smile broke onto her face when the DJ played one of my songs.

But that image is soon shattered by the man she was with, the way he held her and the disappointment that was shown through her big green eyes and pouty lips.

She was gorgeous and every man's dream, but mine. She was the girl who grew up with everything and never had to face the real world with daddy's money buying her a rainbow world.

"Hey man, I heard what happened between you and Scarlett, are you okay?" Devon opens the curtain, but the feeling of being alone doesn't seem to go away. It never seems to go away.

I'm always alone.

I blame my mother abandoning me for the bottom of a bottle and my father for wanting to be the hero of his country. I blame my grandmother for not wanting me as I was a painful reminder of what her daughter had become, that I was just another mistake of a one night stand gone horribly wrong.

My aunt, Scarlett's mother, agreed to let me live with her, but that also meant leaving home in London for America.

"I'm fine, she'll get over it and be bitching about the next thing soon enough." I mutter as I try to close the curtain, but Devon won't loosen his hold on the material, "c'mon I'm tired and we play a show in a few hours."

I turn my back towards Devon and I can hear him sigh.

I'm left with my own thoughts once again, thoughts that scare me.

I roll back onto my back and stare at the picture I know oh so well even without the light.

A photo of my mother and I in a random park near the apartment we lived in when I was still in London, that photo was taken a week before she left me alone in that apartment for a week and my neighbours ended up calling the police.

The last time I saw my mother was when she came to the police station in cuffs after the neighbours had called the police when they realized she was gone again, that was a couple of years after the photo was taken.