LXVIII

From this moment on, if you ever feel like letting go,
I won't let you fall,
You're never gonna be alone!
~ Nickelback, Never Gonna Be Alone

My mother always planned birthdays and holidays. It didn't matter the occasion, she had control over all of it.

My graduation party was held at a fancy yacht club with hundreds of people I didn't know, but they all knew my parents.

They congratulated me and acted as they knew me from birth, but I know it was only for show. They were trying to make a good impression for my parents.

If they were trying to do that they should have been cozying up to Anthony, he was and still is the pride and joy of our parents.

This will be the first birthday I am actually be taking in part in and my mother will have no control over.

My mother taught me how to throw parties and galas but I don't think those skills will help me much in the new lifestyle I have taken on.

There will be no ice sculptures or waiters walking around with glasses of champagne and that excites me.

I sit down beside Lucas as he flips through the channels, not really paying attention.

"How come you got to leave?" I question him knowing very well that the rest of the guys are at the studio going over the next music video for their new song Angels Fall. Erik has been texting me all day complaining of having to work on his birthday and telling me all the things he wanted to do to me tonight which is rather exciting.

"Because I am the only one that can act," Lucas smirks at he shuts the TV down, "Kyle sounded like a cow when we were trying to figure out who is faking sick."

"Why is that not surprising?" I laugh as I straighten out my shirt.

"You've seen some of our early self made videos," Lucas turns so that his full body is looking at me, "well aren't you dressed up?"

I look down at my clothing; black ripped jeans, with a white tank top tucked into them.

"How?" I question as I raise an eyebrow at him.

"I can see the lace through the tank top, Erik will definitely like it." I blush at Lucas but manage an eye roll, "the outfit is cute though."

"Thanks, do you need any help with dinner?" I ask. Last time this kid made macaroni and cheese on the bus it went all over the place.

"I'm actually a great cook, just not when I'm dead."

"I think that goes for most people." I laugh, "I have a question for you."

"What's up?" Lucas pushes himself off the couch and heads back into the kitchen to check on whatever is in the oven.

"Do you think Erik will like my gift?"

"What's under your outfit or what's in the backyard?"

"The backyard." I shake my head at him, "I know for a fact what's under my outfit will be his favourite."

"Not when he gets a taste of this roast recipe I got from his aunt that he loved as a child." Lucas smirks at me, "checkmate."

"Who's getting the cake?" I ask as I get up to help set the table. Lucas stops and doesn't move.

"I think Kyle made some type of cake Erik's aunt used to make for his birthday every year or maybe it was Devon. Can you check the fridge in the garage to see if there is a chocolate chip cookie cake?"

"Smart, hide it in the beer fridge." I head out into the garage to see in fact there is a birthday cake in the fridge. I go to move but something under a sheet catches my eye.