III

Well, there's nothing to lose
And there's nothing to prove
~ Billy Idol, Dancing With Myself

Will came home late in the afternoon. He kissed my forehead as I sat on the couch, curled up with a poetry book, before retreating into the office.

That must have been an hour ago and he has yet to come out. He's probably working on the assignment we were supposed to be working on yesterday before I left him at the office.

He's better at this than I am, I never wanted to go into marketing.

I wanted to be a rock star when I was younger, but when you can't sing it's kind of impossible. One of the earliest memories I have of my mother directing me on the path I'm on now is when I was eight. I had entered the talent show at the prep school I went to. I had gotten up on stage in front of everyone and sang. After the show, my mother told me that I was an embarrassment to think I could sing.

That was the last time I sang in public.

That's why I have kept my love of writing hidden from her. My dream is to become an author and write poetry.

I have a journal that I keep, and from time to time I scribble down ideas.

"Hey baby, what are you doing?" Will lifts my legs up and sits down before placing my legs up on his lap.

"Watching the rain." Will turns his attention away from me and to the large window in our living room, overlooking the patio and pool. "Do you think it will storm?"

We act like yesterday hadn't happened.

That is probably the biggest thing I picked up from growing up with my parents, avoid the problem and act like you're so in love problems aren't a thing.

"It was pretty dark when I left the office today." So, I was right, he avoided me by using work.

I guess I should feel hurt by that, but I can't say that I am.

We don't say anything after that, both of us lost in our own minds.

I watch the droplets slide down the window. This would be the perfect time to be writing, but I can't. Will is here.

"Kat told me what you want for your birthday." Oh, this should be interesting.

I can only imagine what Katie said to get what she wants.

"She asked me last night what I wanted to do."

"Let's discuss over dinner? We haven't gone out in a while, just the two of us." He gives me a look when he sees me about to say something.

We went out on Thursday but that was more of a business dinner.

"Only if we can go dancing after." I sit up and give him my best puppy eyes.

Will hates dancing or going out to clubs in general, while I love it.

I used to go out all the time when I was twenty-one with Katie and a few other girls from school, but recently I stopped going. Hanging out with them wasn't the same anymore, most of them either were in serious relationships or married, but were still acting like they were single.

Have I really changed so much I don't want to hang out with my friends anymore?

At one point in my life, I wouldn't hesitate if they asked, now, I'm finding reasons not to go with them.

"Fine." Will rolls his eyes as he pats my legs, "we'll leave at seven thirty, does that give you enough time?"

Now it's my turn to roll my eyes at him as I get off the couch. I stretch, as I had been sitting in that spot since I came down the stairs this morning.