VIII

life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all
~ Helen Keller

"Did you even sleep?" Scarlett pulls the curtain back as she stumbles towards the coffee machine, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Her black and blue hair falls from the bun she must have slept in and her sweats are pushed up higher on one leg.

"No, I've been working on the social media accounts. I was able to gain two thousand followers which aren't a lot, but that was just overnight. I want to use the rest of the day, to see if I can get your fifty thousand followers to sixty thousand."

"Sounds great, but it's too early for that. Want a coffee?" I can tell Scarlett is still not fully awake as she sits down at the table and covers her head with her arms. "I'm not a morning person if you haven't noticed."

I laugh at Scarlett as she starts to mutter about mornings and how they could be compared to the devil. I get up to get the coffee and pour two cups . I fix my coffee before asking what Scarlett takes.

"Black like my soul."

I set the coffee down in front of her and once the coffee has passed by her lips she seems to be in a happier mood. Her eyes seem to light up and a small smile creeps on her face.

"So, what have you been working on?" We're the only ones up even though the sun has been up for a few hours. It was something else watching the sun creep into the sky while on a bus at a rest stop.

"I think I have a way to gain a ton of followers, but it involves giving away some free backstage passes, do you think Olivia will care?" I'm not sure how far I'm allowed to go within my job description and I haven't even been working a full day, I want to make this work.

"No. As long as she is paid, and we stay out of trouble, she doesn't care, but you're new so if you want to ask she's probably up now." Scarlett pulls her phone out and smiles at it.

"Someone special?" I ask. I know it's not my place, but I want to get to know them as I plan on sticking around.

"My roommate sent me a photo of my cat, she does it every morning. She's always curled up on my pillow when I'm gone." Scarlett turns her phone to me to show a cute grey and white kitten with the fluffiest coat. "Her name is Ivy."

"You need to show me more photos later on, but I think I see Olivia." Scarlett nods her head at me and goes back to texting.

I collect my Mac and step out of the bus. As I scan for the RV my eyes catch the picnic table that I had sat at and tried my first and last cigarette. I could see the butts lying in the dirt patch and a pair of boots. My eyes roam up the rip black jeans and red hoodie to see no other than Erik smoking another cigarette.

He hasn't caught me staring at him yet, so I keep doing so, the sharp jawline that looks like the angels themselves had crafted the perfection. His nose with the slight bend as if he had broken it and had fixed it himself. His lashes touch his cheekbones as his eyes flutter shut within the inhalation of the cigarette.

How is it that a guy has nicer cheekbones then me?

From where I stand I can't see the scar that runs through his eyebrow, but I know from pictures that there is one.

"Liking what you see Ray?" My ogling is interrupted by his smooth voice. Fuck, he caught me.

"Sorry, but I'm not some groupie, so, uh, no I don't." I turn on my heel and make a b-line for the RV, all while his laughter fills my ears like a musical note.

I knock on the door as I don't know whether or not to trust Scarlett on this.

"She went to the shop to get more smokes and booze. Why are you looking for her this early?" Erik calls out to me from his position. When I look at him he motions towards the rest stop.