~51~

I walked into the orchestra hall, early of course, because the director had called me in for a private. As if I didn't come here early everyday to use a practice room with a piano.

"Good evening, Miss Rose. How are you this morning?" He asked with a sweet smile. Mr. Ling was always very kind, like a grandfather. He must be getting close to seventy-five now.

His hands don't work as well as they used to, but he still has the spirit of a young musician, and I admire him for that.

"I'm good, Mr. Ling, how are you?" I asked with a smile as I pulled my bag higher up on my shoulder.

Mr. Ling and I could be what you would call friends. I wouldn't say acquaintances, because I feel like our relationship is more like two teenagers rather than a teacher and a student. In the least weird way possible, he doesn't feel like a teacher.

"I'm great, Rosie. Let's hear the Rachmanioff solo?" He asked as he patted the piano bench next to the chair he was sitting in. "Yes, sir," I said as I walked towards him and sat down, taking out the music.

He smiled. "Your note taking seems to be as good as it always is," he complimented with a smile, nodding. I smiled back and nodded, "Yes, sir, I learned from the best," I said with a chuckle.

"Go on, play all the way through," he said with a smile as he watched my hands place themselves on the keys. I started to play the fast pace song, going into focus on each key, each note, each rhythm, until it was like Mr. Ling wasn't even there anymore.

I finished, not lifting my hand up until long after the syncopation of the last note was played, and I wasn't brought out of my trance until Mr. Ling applauded me. "Bravo, bravo, Miss Rose! Brilliant, no mistakes!" He said, smiling brightly as he gave me a standing ovation. I chuckled and let him clap for me.

"Oh, Miss Rose, you're going to get so many offers too amazing colleges, don't forget me when you're gone!" He said excitedly as he sat back down, gripping the armrest of his chair.

I chuckled at that and sat on my hands. "How could I forget one of the best teachers I've ever had?" I asked.

He smiled. "I can't wait to see your name in lights, Rose Romano, America's greatest pianist," he said as he leaned on one armrest.

I just smiled shyly at that, then he said, "Though you're one of the greatest students I've had, I think there's one thing that could change," he said, almost solemnly. Like he was grieving over the fact I did something wrong.

"This Etude is also called "Little Red Riding Hood", correct?" He asked, speaking with his hands.

I nodded. "Well, you see... you play it almost too joyfully. And I'm glad you are, in a way, because a lot of the time the music you play seems a little unenthusiastic, as if you're... not so happy, even if you don't know it."

"I see...?" I say softly as I look at the music, then at the ivory and ebony keys, then back at Mr. Ling. He talked gently, as if he were dusting an expensive glass vase.

"Well... you don't feel... excited enough. This music is supposed to put the listener on the edge of their seat if it's played correctly. And I know you know what I mean, Miss Rose," he said softly.

"I think I do," I said, only slightly confused. I pounded away on piano keys for hours upon hours on this piece, it was the best I could make it. And I only have a week left...

He paused, thinking for a moment. "Like... it's called Little Red Riding Hood. Like the children's story, you need something to chase like the wolf chased Little Red Riding Hood. What do you want from this performance?"

That was a good question. I thought for a second, then opened my mouth to give him some bullshit answer until I could think of a real one.

Just then, someone came inside. "Mr. Ling?" I recognized the voice immediately, but I didn't turn to see him.

"Good morning, Mr. Kai. What is it that you need?" I heard his footsteps come towards us, but he stopped far away from me. "I had some questions about my accompanist part," he said, and I stood up. "It's okay, Mr. Ling, I need to go to the library anyway," I said as I put my music in my bag and turned away. He nodded. "Alright, Miss Rose. See you soon," he said and waved as I turned to the door.

I lied, I was going to go straight to a practice room, and while I play, I'm going to come up with something to chase, like a wolf in a fairy tale.