~91~

"You sure you'll be alright?" Colby asked. I leaned back in his seat and glanced at my phone. No notifications. "I'll be fine," I answered as I stood up for him to hug me. Which he did, tightly, warmly. He bent down a little bit, and Sam turned away to give us privacy. "Alright," he said, pushing my hair behind my ear and kissing me for a moment.

"I love you. I'll be back in the morning at the latest," he said and turned to follow Sam. I waved, sitting back down on the bed. "You guys are gross," Sam teased Colby once the door was shut, I could barely hear it. The door muffling their conversation from me. "Shut up," Colby laughed.

I love Colby, so much. How did I ever get so lucky to meet him?

I've forgiven him. Watching him cling to me in his sleep after nearly crying, made it easy to forgive him. He loves me. And I have a ring to symbolize it. I laid back in his bed and held my hand with the ring out.

The rose gold ring that curled around my finger perfectly, and I slipped it off to examine it in the light. It was a simple design, four little circles with lines through them, and where the fifth circle would be is a diamond.

He bought it in New York City...

Foreshadowing exists outside of literature, I guess. Cartier... isn't Cartier expensive?

I sat down in front of his desk where his MacBook sat, he told me the password, which is my name and our anniversary- so it wouldn't be heard to guess, and opened google. "Cartier rings".

This ring is beautiful. I'm surprised Sam would've let him buy it for a girl, no matter how expensive it is.

I scrolled through the rings quickly until I found which one is mine.

Cartier Pink Gold wedding band —  $1,070.

I gasped a little, then slipped off my ring and held it up to the image on his computer. The same one. "Colby wouldn't..." I whispered softly to myself. I slipped the ring back on my finger, if fits perfectly.

Wedding band. He didn't tell me this was a wedding ring. He didn't tell me that it costs over a thousand dollars. Why would he do that? Is he stupid? We hadn't even been dating for three months, hadn't even said "I love you". And he bought me a ring for a thousand dollars?

He's stupid, crazy.

Crazy in love with you, Rose.

That realization made me smile as I sat back and examined the ring.

"Momma, you wouldn't believe this," I whispered, holding my hand to my chest. I hadn't spoken to her like this in a long time. The school counselor when I was a freshmen told me it would be a good idea.

"Momma, he is the sweetest guy I've ever met..." I said quietly, in case someone came down. "He loves me so much, and he reminds me all the time..."

Even if she never had a Colby, she would've been ecstatic to hear about me having one.

I laid back on my bed and closed my eyes, reminiscing for a moment about me and Colby's past.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I just... don't trust that wood," I laughed nervously, but smiled to lighten the mood. He reached his hand out to me. "Well do you trust me?" (Chapter 19)

We had gone to Cavenaugh for the first time. He told me everything about it. The stairs that led to the second floor, that led to the balcony Colby and I often spent hours together on, is something I've now come to trust.

But I'll still tread lightly.

I took his hand that night, and he made me feel worth more than the moon and the stars.

I started to stutter and talk before I was ready. "No, yeah- I, uh...." I freeze, not sure what to say as I back away. He laughed and took my hand anyway. "Come on. I got you, I promise," he said as he started up the stairs, pulling me along.

Every time he touched me back then, my heart would pound.

I'm wasting time just laying here. I should go up to the school and practice, Mr. Ling always leaves the practice room open.

And I highly doubt anyone is there right now. Not even Logan, if I'm lucky. Why is he here? I'll have to ask him the next time I see him.

I stood up and put Colby's black zip up with white stripes at the sleeves on, then I zipped it up. I laced up my shoes and grabbed my bag, and my keys. My keys were in their drive way, but I haven't driven in so long. Colby always insisted on picking me up so he could see me.

I put my backpack on and I started walking down stairs. Corey and Aaron were in the living room, with Aaron's girlfriend.

"Oh, hey, Rose," Corey said as I walked past. "Where are you going?" He asked. "I'm going to go practice for a bit at the university," I said, stopping and turning to them. "Well, have fun...?" Corey asked with a chuckle. I nodded. "I will, see you," I said and turned to go again.

"Also, Rose? Are you living here?" He asked. "Not for long. "Elena and I are... having a disagreement."

"Oh?" He asked. "She's all over Colby, huh?"

I nodded. "Unfortunately. Anyway, I have a performance in three days."

December 8th. You have to make your decision by December 8 at 11:59pm.

Three days and I have a performance. The Phantom of the Opera concert is in three days.

I need to remind Colby.

I went to the school, and I was the only one there. After all, it is nearly ten pm on a Saturday night.

Mr. Ling wasn't even here. I sat down in front of the piano, but I didn't practice Phantom of the Opera. Well, not exactly. For fun, for the sake of my sanity with the stress of this concert coming, I started to transcribe the main theme from Phantom of the Opera for piano from ear. Then I would write it down on an empty sheet of music.

I made fast left hand movements, jumps and fortissimos and shifting. I made it harder than most could ever play. Most beginners, at the very least.

I'll save it for my next concert in front of the roommates, like when I played Winter's Wind at the Coachella house.