~141~

I'm so very proud of you, Rose. I love you.

I kept repeating those words written on the back of my mother's life insurance policy she never told me about.

"Mama," I said to the cat as she rubbed her forehead against my legs. She's so much more affectionate all of a sudden. I knelt down next to her and kissed her forehead. "I've got to go, baby," I told her as I pet her ears. She stood up on her hind legs to greet my hands, even as I pulled them away.

"I can't believe this happened," Logan said. He and I were on our way to the bank. I'd made plenty of phone calls yesterday, had the money transferred to be able to enter my bank account once I went down to my New York City bank to turn the form in and fill out paper work. It's all so crazy. Logan's coming with me.

He reached down and took my hand. "Bye, Mama. We'll be back soon," he said and waved to her, before he started motioning for me to follow him out the door.

I haven't talked to Colby since Logan texted him and told him off. I knew I was convinced that I could do anything I want, and I can... but I'm too scared to. I like Logan a lot, and I don't want to ruin things because I'm not over a boy who lives thousands of miles away and... cheated on me.

But you love him, Rose, and you know it.

But he's thousands of miles away.

If you love him, and he still loves you, then the distance won't matter. Call him.

I'm not gonna call him.

You won't call him because you're scared.

Excuse you, other-people's-inventory-taking voice in my head. And what would I be scared of?

You're scared of ruining what you have.

I have Miss Saigon. And Juilliard. And my own friends, and a sweet boyfriend, and a cat. I have everything. Why would I want to ruin that? What else could I want?

Colby.

Oh, shut up.

I walked into the bank with Logan, smoothing down my dress. We took a seat in a waiting area, and he wrapped an arm around me, and started to tap my shoulder and hum, obviously fingering the chords to some song. I smiled at him, pushing my hair behind my ear, and he leaned in to kiss me, but was interrupted when a woman at the desk said, "Rose Romano?"

I pulled away and looked at her, smiling shyly. "Yeah," I said and stood, walking towards the office. "Want me to come?" Logan asked, standing up. "If you want," was all I said.

I sat down at the desk across from an older man, in glasses. He reached his hand out to shake mine. "Rose Romano," he greeted, "I'm Harold Pennington. It's nice to meet you. You're searching to take out a life insurance policy, or cash one in?" he asked.

"Cash one. I just found it," I said, taking out a folder I have with all the paper work I filled out inside it. "My mother's," I said.

"I'm sorry to hear she passed," he said. "It's alright. It was almost five years ago," I countered. "And you just found it? Weren't you notified of it after her passing?" he asked. I shook my head. "My father may have been. But he never cashed it, never mentioned it either. All this money would've been great when I was starting college..."

He chuckled. "That's usually why people take out life insurance policies. So how did you find it?" he asked.

"A funny story, actually," I started, as he was checking the paperwork. "My mother taught me how to play piano, and when I was twelve she gave me a piano keyboard for my birthday, and I've always had it. Well, my cat threw a tantrum and wrecked my apartment... wrecked my piano too. That was underneath the cover," I said. "She must've put it in there."

He smiled. "Yeah? That's a wonderful story," he complimented as he started to sign his own signature on some of the papers.

"Thank you," I said, "Something tells me she knew I'd find it just when I needed it. And seeing how I was a few days from being kicked out of my apartment..."

He chuckled. "Yes. That's fantastic. But I'm sure you would've been able to live with your boyfriend out there."

"I'm sure that's what he would've preferred," I answered. We spoke about minuscule things for a few more minutes before he finished signing the papers. "Very well, Miss Romano. The money will be transferred to your account within the week," he smiled. I shook his hand one more time, before I returned out the door and met Logan. He kissed me as a greeting, a quick one, then said, "So?"

"I got the money," I smiled. I looked at the time on my phone, about six pm. "Dinner to celebrate?" he asked. "I'll pay," I smirked, taking his hand and walking towards the door. "Good, I won't feel so bad about it now that I know you can pay for it without having to miss out on another meal. And on our way home, we've got to go get Mama something to eat too."

I chuckled. "Yeah, we do."

I had a good time with Logan. We laughed and smiled, and celebrated my new funds. We kissed and held each other, my skin was burning with passion. But by eight p.m., that feeling dissipated when my phone rang. I took it out of my purse and looked at the name. Colby.

I stared at the name, but I answered it when Logan glanced over. "Who is it?" he mouthed. I waved him off and listened.

"Oh, hey... Rose..." he said. Like he was surprised I would answer.

"Hey. What's up?" I asked, nonchalantly, so I don't raise Logan's suspicions.

"I'm... I'm in New York. Well, Newark Airport, actually. And... I've got no where to go. I don't have anything with me, beside my phone and my wallet..."

"What?" I asked, sitting straight up in my chair.

"I need you, Rose."